Earthquakes 2018

Wow, look at the map of recent earthquakes. Only one dot at Hualien and the rest all over the place. A bit scary.

https://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/earthquake/

That timing coincides with when I was hit by a mysterious feeling of dizziness when I was out walking yesterday.

Actually, it sems it si tracing a lineā€¦:runaway:

I think I agree. And another small one on the line at 9 am.

Frequent small ones good sign or bad signal?

I would think good (letting the steam out slowly kind of thing). But there were many small ones before the big one in Hualien. Actually, many small ones, a medium one, and then the big one. So I donā€™t think anyone knows the answer to this.

Itā€™s good. Releases pressure. Iā€™m kind of concerned being from Kaohsiung actually, as I havenā€™t felt a real earthquake that made me stop and take notice in almost a year. I know weā€™re overdue.

good sign, the pressure is being release gradually.

After a very quick search and some sloppy looking into, I get the impression that the answer is not so clear-cut. Somebody please do some better research than Iā€™ve done since Iā€™m very interested in knowing as well.

Good: thereā€™s some tension being slowly relief.
Bad: thereā€™s some tension that needs to be relief (but we already knew that)

Guys, didnā€™t I say the same thing before and you all rebuffed me? We have always been told that in teh old country: many small quakes better than a big one.

I brought that up regarding all these mini quakes we suffer in this centenarian building with the tanks and heavy armor vehicles rolling every afternoon. I expect gradual weaking followed by sudden extinction.

Dunno what to make of this:

Taipei, March 31 (CNA) A study into the magnitude 6.0 earthquake that struck Hualien County in eastern Taiwan in February found on Saturday that the cause of the temblor that took 17 lives was a fault line at sea instead of movement along the Milun Fault in downtown Hualien as was initially suspected.
ā€¦
However, the CGS said it knows very little about the fault line to be blamed for the recent earthquake because it is at sea, only that it is located in a region where the Philippine Sea Plate goes under the Eurasian Plate, which resulted in a broken tectonic area in eastern Taiwan.

While there were no more significant seismic activities in the region, it is unlikely that the fault line will trigger more earthquakes there, added Lu Shih-ting (ē›§č©©äø), section chief of CGSā€™ Active Tectonics Division.

Compared with a 1951 earthquake also in Hualien, which measured more than 7.0 and was triggered directly by the Milun Fault, the Feb. 6 earthquake was relatively small, Lu told CNA.

I will tell you my guessā€¦

It was the undersea volcano 17 miles offshore of Hualien. If you look at the plots for the earthquake swarm in February, you will see that many of the quakes centered around that volcano.

Quake swarms happen often around active volcanoes.

Weā€™re back!

Oh manā€¦

big quake, for a long time

I felt it was a short one, in fact. Wife disagrees but now you made me think she might be rightā€¦

My bed was shaking, I almost got motion sickness

I felt it was long, but not so strong shake.

1 Like

It was far off the coast of halogen, neat

Hualien, fucking autocorrect

1 Like