Earthquakes 2020

Alt + 0178

1 Like

Also Alt-253

If you want cm³ (Centimetres Cubed), Alt-0179

3 Likes

Remembering those codes counts as easy?!

Not really sure how to type those on my iPad. Oo, Alt/Option + 0 gives me degrees. Neat. Too bad I won’t remember that next time I need it, in a few months or years. Huh, all kinds of wacky stuff available … but it looks like for superscript, I need to set up some kind of text replacement option, or copy-and-paste from somewhere else.

(FFS Apple, I can press and hold on “e” and get a bajillion accent options, but I can’t press and hold on “2” to get a superscript option?!)

1 Like

Apple. You can do everything the designers imagined easily. Everything else is impossible.

Windows. You can do everything the designers imagined barely comfortably and stably. And you can do many more things in ways of various mafan-ness. But you can do it.

Apart from that, the age old question: what’s wrong if I didn’t get any if these drill test alarms efit": to my android phone?

3 Likes

Taiwan gov’t does not deem you as “worthy” to save?
Did you do something wrong since you been here? :slight_smile:

1 Like

A las diez de la mañana.

Only suggestion that comes to mind: if you’re using an iPhone: in Settings / Notifications, and scrolling way to the bottom, I’ve got a section called “Government Alerts”: Alert Message, Emergency Alert, and Required Monthly Test are all turned on with my phone.

Many quake and weather alerts seem to be based on where you are, but the one today should have gone to everyone, I think.

1 Like

I got the Notification like @Marco did, but never heard any sirens.

Why would you hear sirens? I thought it was just a message sending drill.

1 Like

I did get the siren. My next thought was…I could be first to post this on Forumosa!

1 Like

Android here. Maybe because I changed my phone… Same CHT SIM though. Old phone used to get the messages.

I use android and I got it.

1 Like

The SMS / Notification was supposed to go out at 09:21, and the sirens let loose between 10:00 and 10:10. I got the first, didnt hear the second.

Up the hill a bit in Danshui, I didn’t hear any sirens, but I didn’t expect to either. I’d assumed the sirens would have been along the coastal areas - for example, on the north coast from Sanzhi through Jinshan, there are occasional signs along the lines of “If a tsunami is two meters or more, and you’re here, you’re gonna die.” (But I think the “Meltdown evacuation” signs outnumber the tsunami signs.)

Now I’m curious how vulnerable the Taipei basin is to a tsunami. Would the geography protect the basin, or supercharge the wave? How much would it differ based on location of the quake?

1 Like

Oh right. Yeah didn’t hear no siren nowhere.

At 10pm there will be a special program on PTS. Recommended.

Pfft, you guys and your sirens. We have REAL problems /s

panics

The European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre said the magnitude 3.6 earthquake hit at 9.32am and had a depth of five kilometres.

3.6 is newsworthy? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yeah Taiwan problems seem small also compared to Germany problems. In many areas they couldn’t even get ANY warning to work :rofl:

1 Like

Have I told you that in the old country, instead of a normal school bell, we had an old air raid siren some priest brought from God knows where? It’s range was impressive.