Earthquakes 2021

First here! That seemed like a big one, even in Taipei.

5 Likes

I was already awake and on my computer. That was a nice jolt!

1 Like

Nice little one

in Miaoli…felt it

Woke me up! And no alert too

2 Likes

Usyk really shook the world

On the second floor in Taipei… that was long!

Btw, why haven’t the emergency alerts been notifying us about earthquakes these days? The alerts for the drills all worked…

4 Likes

5.7 - 37.1 km NNE of Hualien 45km deep.

1 Like

From my understanding, they adjusted down the sensitivity quite a bit. So that one was probably still too “weak” (at least in Taipei) to trigger an alert.

3 Likes

Good morning everyone.

Munching on my breakfast, I saw the new posts in this thread. Here in my modest apartment in Taipei City, I didn’t feel a thing.

Guy

Ok so my new trigger is people who post on Social media saying “huge muthercussin’ earthquake in Taipei just now, absolutely terrifying”. When it’s just a fart in the bathtub. Save the hyperbowl for the real deal.

3 Likes

Wow… My first real earthquake… Woke me up and shat myself a bit. I guess it’s relatively common in Taiwan but not in UK!

Indeed. Taiwan is I think the result of two tectonic plates (Eurasian and Philippine) colliding, creating this lovely yet unstable island. The meeting spot of these two plates is marked in Hualien, in Yuli, on the Yufu bike path as pictured here (photo not by afterspivak):

Imgur

Guy

5 Likes

Here we all slept through it. :laughing:

1 Like

Actually, it’s three.

It’s Eurasian, Phillippine, and Pacific.

It’s basically an orgy of subduction zone which created Taiwan but it’s also unstable as hell.

Wait the Pacific plate helped to shape Taiwan? That’s news to me.

Guy

Some shaking in Taipei

Slightly felt in Taichung