Earthquakes 2022

Every car has one. they ain’t rare. Issue is, where I am, there are barely any stations to listen to :grin:

1 Like

2-way radios can be a communication device if cell towers are down, as they use radio waves, which exist everywhere across the known universe (though obviously our radio devices have limited range). Radios that are only receivers can be used to hear the news if you’re tuned into a news station (and the power is out/cell towers are down, etc.)

You’re not in an intimate relationship with a woman are you? See also: https://youtu.be/PmyByJ4nqN0

Well spotted. I noticed I got that wrong after posting but couldn’t be bothered to edit the post.

I have reached an age where physical intimacy is rare. Enjoy as much as you can while you can :grin:

1 Like

I got a Torrential Rain one a month ago while traveling on the HSR, which I thought was a bit of overkill. There was also an alert for a missile drill a few months ago.

Before my kid showed me mlb streams on Reddit, I used radio to catch the Yankees games. I prefer it.

And in the car as well. Good Radio is way underrated. And the batteries will last longer when the power’s out.

Curious if it stayed on or came off the jack stand after the quake?

Insufferable story time no one asked for!!!1!

I left a car on a jackstand in the company car park for a few days as the handbrake had seized one of the rear wheels. It was safely supported, still three wheels on the ground, with another jackstand as a backup, then the wheel under the car, and a jack, and a strong toolbox that would have held the car.

The UK had an earthquake, something like magnitude 0.9.

Went out to check the car (which hadn’t even moved from the first jackstand) and had a load of hard-hat-wearing hi-vis knobs standing around it, one of them being the head of facilites who shouted at me to get rid of the car sharpish.

If they knew anything about that particular model of car, they would have realised it was safer on the jackstand than it would have been with the wheel on. Those alloys had a habit of becoming a two-piecer.

Aftershock, same general area (Taitung)
magnitude ~4.6

Edit:

2 Likes

So you have to take a shit nearby an earthquake? Not too onerous a restriction at the moment, but I’d need to see a tighter definition of “nearby”.

Will I be getting Presidential text messages about this?

It stayed up but wobbled quite a bit. Like yours, only one wheel off the ground. Both front wheels up might have been fatal.

DIY car maintenance does tend to be viewed as disreputable by the official mind, I probably only got away with it on campus bercause its unprecedented in the local culture so no regs against it, but I am the only person who’s ever been asked to show my vehicle documents.

I’d guess they assumed it couldn’t have passed inspection (its the second worst looking car in Taiwan), so I stalled them for a while so they thought they’d got me.

Not exactly, like sending ‘test’ alarms on the day of 9/21

Anyways, I’ve never ran outside during a quake. I just stay put.

Very loud to shoo away snakes.

Same with the space shuttles.

I did, but didn’t hear anything as I had my earphones plugged in the device and I was two rooms further down. Only saw it a couple of hours later.

Same, they outlawed it in that place after several of my incidents.

Separately, the police were called because someone thought it was abandoned after I parked it outside my house one evening. It had been there less than 12 hours by the time the police spoke to me

So, you have TWO cars then? And only drive the better looking one?

1 Like

Looks I need to go to Taroko Gorge on Sunday. How safe is it there these days, in terms of rockfall, I wonder.

:roll_eyes:

This deserves a picture if its that bad… Personally i love clunkers

Honestly speaking, probably not the best plan. :neutral_face:

Guy

2 Likes

I am asked to go, work-related, so I will go and try to stay clear of rockfall areas.

Just Google it and take your precaution.

‘taroko gorge rockfall incidents’

1 Like