"Easier" Public Elementary Schools in Taipei

No. I’m just an alumnus who does admissions interviews. The school had someone out here recently who happened to ask me if I had any ideas about recruiting in Taiwan. They wondered why they had plenty of graduate students from Taiwan but so few undergraduates. Japan is the same.

Sorry about making you see red. I share your feelings. The story says 13%. I find it concerning that Hong Kong was the leading destination.

The main thing I was asking is if it is a top university. One wouldn’t expect graduates from the most elite public schools in Taiwan to want to attend a university that’s not super highly ranked.

I think it’s a good school that Taiwanese students would be interested in attending. I had a great experience and think that students from elite Taiwanese public high schools would thrive there.

1 Like

No. The title says 18%.

It’s been debunked. The 18% number refers to applications. If you count each application as 1 person of course the overall number would be high because a student can apply to MULTIPLE DIFFERENT SCHOOLS.

Kuan has always been a complete hack.

Why? If Hong Kong was the leading destination it most likely means there are fewer outgoing undergraduates now given how much Hong Kong has declined. HK and China are popular choices because high school seniors don’t know much English, at least not nearly enough to thrive in American schools.

Ok, Ok. Taiwan No. 1. NTU is the world’s greatest university. No Taiwanese students are leaving especially the elite ones. No one speaks English. Taiwanese workers make great money and the old people are filthy rich.

Where have I said that. It is just a fact that Kuan was lying through his teeth.

Is there a problem?

And it is also a fact that Taiwanese people are not going to HK much these days. It has lost all its attractions.

I am not a fan of Mr. Kuan. But he was not lying through his teeth. He exaggerated in this case or perhaps misunderstood the number. I do not agree with his conclusion that this is “scary.” It’s interesting and should be taken note of.

30 students going overseas to study on graduation is a small number but not insignficant. It might increase given the dramatic improvements in English over the years.

20-30 students from Zhongshan go every year. 69 students from Fuzhong went in 2018 and 48 in 2019.

I dislike Kuan for other reasons than this. He’s just generally quite terrible. His disposition is a lot like Ko who is my most hated person in the world.

There have been dramatic improvements in English?

Yes. The difference between 1990 and now is like night and day. Every year the young lawyers speak and write better English. I was amazed by how good the English at NTU Law when I went there a few months ago. Of course there is still room for a lot more improvement and there is a depressing, yawning gap between students from the six big cities and elsewhere.

I share your sentiments about Mr. Kuan. And it is not about this.

Well compared to 1990 yeah probably.

I haven’t really noticed this. It is true that most people at NTU are from the six big cities, but 70% of the people in Taiwan live in the six big cities so I think that’s natural.

Thanks for this list, it sounds like Jian’an or Guangfu would suit my purposes - also trying to find a nice local school that won’t shock my foreigner kiddos (age 8 and 6) too much.

Ultimately we’d like to stay for 1 year, and maximise Chinese fluency in that time.
Could I ask if anyone knows for Jian’an and Guangfu, do the local kids who attend generally speak English already…? Or is there a high % of foreigners who speak English?

My friend came back with her kids (aged 8 and 10) for 1 year… but they attended a school with rich kids who had been learning English (really well) since 2years old. As a result her kids actually didn’t speak much Chinese the whole time… really keen to avoid this situation if possible!

Does anyone else have any other recommendations? Looking for a nice public school… who as the OP said are understanding that the foreign kids will be behind initially.

They’ll be in the same grade as my kids :slight_smile:

Very tiny sample size, but my older son says there were 5 classmates (including him) out of his class of 27 who could speak English last year (when he knew no Chinese and was reliant on these other kids). My younger son says there are 2 classmates (including him) out of 27 who can speak English this year. But he might be understating it since he can speak Mandarin well enough now to make friends and listen to the teachers, etc. He wasn’t at Guangfu last year.

1 Like