Easiest and cheapest way to get from taipei to airport?

I need to pick a friend up from Taoyuan airport. I heard that I can take a bus there, but I am not sure where one might pick me up or how to recognize which one to take. I live in Da’an, near the night market off of Keelung. Could anyone tell me what bus to take or from where? Also, how often do buses to the airport run, and about how long does it take to get there? Finally, does it take you to both terminals or just one? Thanks a lot!!

In front of The Mall on Dunhua is a bus stop that serves airport buses. They come about once every 20 minutes. They take about an hour to get to the airport. They serve both terminals.

You could also go to the Zhongxiao/Fuxing MRT station. Take the Andong St. exit. There’s an Evergreen bus you can catch to the airport.

A few blocks from Minchuan W Road Station there is a bus that takes you to the airport. You have to buy tickets (on-site, by the bus stop). They’re like… 150 NTD or so.
You also have to pay MRT fees too, to get there I guess. I’ll ask my girlfriend for more info on the bus.

Given that you have no luggage the cheapest way is to walk - I figure it’d take you about a day. If you call a few limo services you should be able to get one to take you for about NT$900 which is what we always do.

The easiest and cheapest ways are often mutually exclusive. As Edgar Allen mentioned, a limo or taxi is the easiest way; straight to your door, riding in comfort.

If the bus is near your place, that would probably be a good compromise; busses to the airport leave from all over the place, all the time. Keep in mind that if your friend has had a long flight, s/he probably won’t feel much like the crowds of the MRT or like hauling luggage all over the place.

I was told a shuttle goes to the airport from the Hyatt at a cost of around NT$300. I ended up being driven by a cousin, so I cannot say if that information is accurate.

Yip, I agree. I travelled to Italy last month and the cheapest way to get to the airport is by bus. I took it from Minchuan (close to the temple) at 5:30am and costs about 100NT. It’ll get you there in about 45 minutes.

Hotels in Taipei are very happy to arrange a “limo” for NT 1100 or so from TPE. I wonder how much the taxi drivers kick back to the hotels.

Today, for NT 189.
Starting from 7/11 on S. side of Xindian River (aka “jug band lounge”), 6:30 a.m., walk across pedestrian bridge to Xindian MRT, catch 6:42 a.m. MRT (NT 24 w/ MRT card), arrive Taipei Main Stn at 7 a.m., buy HSR ticket (NT 135), board 7:06 a.m. departure to Taoyuan, arrive 7:30 a.m., board UBus # 705 shuttle from HSR stn to TPE (NT 30), arrive 7:45 a.m., checking in (Terminal 1) at 7:50 a.m.

This is in addition to what has already been posted: you may find some useful info (URL of Kuokuang bus company, etc.) also in the thread “Taoyuan - Hualien: is this info still current?” at Taoyuan - Hualien: is this info still current?

The U-bus near Taipei main station will take you to Taoyuan Airport for 125NTD in approximately 45minutes including tollgate traffic.

Beware of Taxi’s or Limo service as they would sometimes take the national highway instead of the freeway which would take the trip time 1.5X longer.

I, personally, no longer take the bus Taipei / TPE. I like the HSR, transferring from MRT to HSR within Taipei Main Station, no unexpected tours of Banqiao, no being trapped by yakking amahs, the lack of possible traffic delays, etc. YMMV

According to Wikipedia taoyuanairport.gov.tw/englis … peed_e.jsp . Is this how you do it?

in front of the Far Eastern Hotel (Dunhua) or on the side of the Hyatt (across from 101)

Airbus runs every twenty minutes and costs 140.

MRT goes nowhere near the airport (in Taoyuan). You can take the MRT to Taipei Main Station, then take the High Speed Rail to Taoyuan, and then one of the frequent Ubus shuttles to the airport. The HSR is fast fast fast, but the total journey is 3 legs, with some waiting time.

I happen to live right next to an Evergreen Airport Bus stop, so I use it all the time to go to the airport. Door-to-door service, by bus!

According to Wikipedia taoyuanairport.gov.tw/englis … peed_e.jsp . Is this how you do it?[/quote]

Please note Neihu line was supposed to open in 2007… set dates are just for reference.

Take Neihu (brown) MRT to Songshan (domestic) airport, exit MRT station at street level you will see a bus stop directly in front of you and take Taoyuan airport bus directly to airport (departs every 30 min, makes only one more stop in town and goes to both terminals). Takes about an hour on the bus, I can’t remember the cost but I want to say it was around NT125 each way?

Update: airport line might be ready in
years.

[quote]The bureau plans to begin Airport Rail operations from Sanchong (三重) to Jhongli by June 2013, Chu said, while the Taipei-Sanchong section was scheduled to begin operations in October 2014.

[/quote]

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2009/11/18/2003458761