Easter Sunday blasts in Sri Lanka

I understand this as “one who worships during Easter.”

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this once in my entire life. I’ve never heard of any Christians call themselves this in all my Easter nor have I ever heard of anyone ever using this term to describe Christians on Easter. We are Christ worshipers or followers. It’s in the name. Not Easter worshippers. Yes, you can probably logical conclude that’s what it means. But it’s clearly intentional if you don’t believe politicians choose their words carefully.

Let’s just imagine it’s not currently around Easter. Would it not be weird for someone to say this term instead of Christians? Yes it would. It would be extremely weird, and take a few moments to even connect that dot.

I think worshippers is just a standard neutral term used to describe any follower of a religion. And like the bear mentioned, they probably want to place emphasis on the fact that this occurred during a significant religious holiday, so it’s even worse.

Might sound a bit weird, but so do lots of the style rules for publications and announcements and other types of press. Stuff like that is often awkward-sounding.

1 Like

How much more does the average person know more about France beyond superficial stuff? How much do you even need to know about a country to comprehend around 300 people died? Are people living under a rock with no information.

Uh, obviously it’s terrible. If it’s any consolation, I didn’t give a rats ass about Notre Dame burning, and I’m actually bothering to read about what happened in Sri Lanka. I don’t have anything to add because I’m just learning about it. What’s your problem?

Guys , Guys you will just get this temped. Let’s make a few points , which we all have done, and fair enough , but getting too heated about semantics and bias , after the points have been made on both sides , would be maybe better in another discussion . I am as guilty as most …but let’s see how things unfold
sent from my peaceguy phone

1 Like

I don’t see how knowing about a country is that relevant to the information at hand.

Jesus, that’s a hell of a conspiracy theory you got going on there.

1 Like

It must be in the olden days because the great firewall is fairly easy to bypass and you can get bibles over the net easily. I don’t know how they do churches however but I know they hate house gatherings (which almost all missionary groups do)

How sensitive.

I’m certainly not the first and only person who sees this. Go look at the replies for those tweets. Way to call it a conspiracy theory to delegitimize a seriously criticism of how the reactions differ on other major events.

There’s nothing wrong with the term “Easter worshipers”. You’re barking up the wrong tree.

This is the lead story across all media worldwide with multiple articles in each coverage. I don’t see bias. But if anyone can run a meta analysis on column space for all religious atrocities in the last ten years I’m all eyes.

I do agree the Notre Dame coverage was overcooked (pardon the pun).

Christian in the West is associated with followers of Jesus. Meanwhile, in Asia, the word Christian is linked more with Protestants, who respect Easter and may hold special services, but never with the fanfare of Catholics. Hence avoiding the word makes sense as an inclusion, not wanting to leave anyone behind.

1 Like

Conspiracy theory? The difference in the way the international media has framed the two attacks is clear as night and day. Islamists all around the world are laughing at the way the media carries water for them.

1 Like

China is vast country with a huge population. I forget sometimes as I’ve only been to the large cities. It is true you can buy bibles freely now, and the CCP often says this as evidence of freedom of religion. But only at authorize churches or Christian stores. You can not print any I believe. And there tends to be a shortage in smaller villages since a only limit supply at certain places are available.

I find it very strange that a term no one has ever used is suddenly used by certain politicians. I could be wrong and it’s entire innocent coincidence, but I doubt it.

Top two headlines on Google News right now

Apparently the children of the ASOS brand owner was killed there. I also heard one church or service in a church that was bombed was for children. That’s an awful image to think about.

China’s not really into Western version of freedom of speech (unlike Taiwan), but the way they design their rules it’s so easy to get around. For example the great firewall is there, but CCP doesn’t really make any real effort to curtail attempts to circumvent it.

I do not know how well penetrated cell services and phones are in those small villages, but say a Kindle reader preloaded with Bibles can be distributed to those villages and a solar charger can be furnished to allow them to keep using it. Technology is a great thing, while it can be used for bad it can be used for good as well.

I mean you aren’t “printing” any Bibles by doing that. If Kindle readers are not available in China one of the thousands of knockoff smartphones made in China (cheap I might add) can be furnished to them. I am sure there are many people who would love to donate money for this cause.

Also, I heard people say in China local governments have a lot of power, far more than national governments. Some evangelistic efforts can be used for building good relationship with local governments so they would be more willing to look the other way…

I think in some ways US is actually worse. Now we don’t have rules in the US that makes printing bibles a crime. However IF this were to happen (because the Liberals deem it “hate literature”, this can happen!), US rules are designed in such a way that any attempt to circumvent it is punished. In fact American rules are much harder to circumvent compared to Chinese rules. If the US had a “great firewall” they will make great efforts to make it impossible to circumvent.

1 Like

What you’re saying true. It would be great. But unfortunately the issue is not so much the Bible smuggling from foreign missionaries as the penalty seems minuscule in most circumstances. As you said, those local gov in small villages have a lot of power. They often do as they please and laws are not followed or just made up, interpreted differently or ignored. The fear would be drawing attention to the Christians there with such a project.