Easy Math Quiz That Will Insult Your Intelligence

1. What is the square root of x-squared?
  2. What is two plus two?
  1. Positive x or negative x.

2. Four.

(wince)

[quote=“Einstein”]1. Positive x or negative x.[/quote]WRONG! It’s the absolute value of x. Stupid.

[quote=“brainiac”]2. Four.
[/quote]That is correct. Did you use a calculator?

Somebody pull the feeding tube. There’s no brain activity here.

1(a). |x|
1(b). |-x|
2(a). 4
2(b). The quare root of 16
2©. twotwo (taking ‘two’ and ‘two’ as text strings)

[quote=“Roach”]1(a). |x|
1(b). |-x|
2(a). 4
2(b). The quare root of 16
2©. twotwo (taking ‘two’ and ‘two’ as text strings)[/quote]
I would expect something more intelligent from a cockroach. Or an amoeba.

[quote=“Richardm”][quote=“Einstein”]1. Positive x or negative x.[/quote]WRONG! It’s the absolute value of x. Stupid.

[quote=“brainiac”]2. Four.
[/quote]That is correct. Did you use a calculator?

Somebody pull the feeding tube. There’s no brain activity here.[/quote]

How is it the absolute vaule of x? Example

(x^2)^(1/2)

let’s use 4

(4^2)^(1/2)

(16)^(1/2)= +4 or -4

proof 44=16 -4-4=16

Trick questions. It’s not the math quiz which will insult your intelligence :slight_smile:

The digit in the units place of a two-digit number exceeds that in the tens place by one. If the number is equal to four times the sum of its digits, what is that number?

[quote=“Richardm”][quote=“Einstein”]1. Positive x or negative x.[/quote]WRONG! It’s the absolute value of x. Stupid.
[/quote]Do you have your ears on today ? Maybe you were thinking of “what is the square of the square root of x ?”

[quote]2. What is two plus two?

seven[/quote]:loco:

I used to know someone who used to ask “What is two and two ?” when hiring programmers.

[quote=“axiom-less”]How is it the absolute vaule of x? [/quote]It’s by definition.

And I suppose you complained because the questions were too hard.

Hah! You never said we couldn’t use calculators!

:raspberry:

1 + 1 = 2
(1 + 2 = 3) * 4 = 12

Richardm, if you google for definitions of Square Root you will see that he’s right…

It kinda slipped my mind too :blush:

[quote=“twocs”]1 + 1 = 2
(1 + 2 = 3) * 4 = 12[/quote]
Genious :notworthy: :notworthy:

Here’s more : funtrivia.com/quizzes/sci__t … _math.html

My math skills are a little rusty, so I only got 7/10 on the first and 5/10 on the second. :blush: But they are pretty tough :smiley:

Oh gosh. There’s no need for the study of mathematics anymore. All our answers were in google all along. Ha ha to all the so called mathematicians. Maybe they can sell shoes.
And PS: He’s not right. and whoever you googled up there is a real idiot.

Richardm, if you google for definitions of Square Root you will see that he’s right…

It kinda slipped my mind too :blush:[/quote]

Is there really a need to find definitions? It’s just logic…and thus, a logically attainable solution…an “axiom”, if I may.

I’m standing on the shoulders of numbskulls!
You need to look at the big picture. The entire system needs to be logically consistent. That is why the square root of 16 is 4. Not -4.

[quote=“Richardm”]I’m standing on the shoulders of numbskulls!
You need to look at the big picture. The entire system needs to be logically consistent. That is why the square root of 16 is 4. Not -4.[/quote]What is -4 squared ?
That is why -4 is a (not the) square root of 16. Why is 4 more logical than -4 ?

You’re not going to like imaginary numbers which are based around i, which is the the positive square root of -1 (the other square root is -i) In my work I use quaternions which are numbers with 1 real dimension and 3 imaginary dimensions ie. a+i.b+j.c+k.d i,j,k are different square roots of -1 (there can be 3 when you have 4 dimensions)

Matthew, if you had a brain you’d take it out and play with it.
Yes, -4 squared is 16. If you want the square root of 16 to be -4 you will have to invent your own system of mathematics. Maybe you’ll get famous.