Easy train rides from Taipei

Now that the high speed rail is operational, the possibilities for a day trip are really expanded. I just took a day trip to Tainan. The transfer at Taipei Main Station could not be easier. Bear in mind that they stop selling tickets 5 minutes before departure time. My elderly friend (65 and over) got a half price ticket after showing his passport and filling out a line on a form. The train is faster than dammit and you are at Tainan station in 1 hour and 40 minutes if you catch the right express.

However, once you get to the Tainan THSRC station, things slow down rapidly. It is located far west of Tainan, in the middle of some remote fields. As they say, birds don’t shit or die there. There is a bus into town once an hour, but with all the timing delays, you could find it taking literally ANOTHER hour and 40 minutes to get there, no joke. Perhaps this was part of the plan; there are a few car rental agencies at the station. A taxi into down takes about 20 minutes and $NT 375. In town, behind the ordinary train station, there are several inexpensive moped rental shops. None at the THSRC station.

I took the high speed rail (HSR) to Taichung. The train was 55 minutes from here to there. It cost about $250 for the thirty minute taxi ride to the city. Still, it was a fun trip. I think we spent almost three hours in Taichung and then headed back to the HSR station and back to Taipei. Downtown Taichung is not much different than Taipei, except that they sell bulk jewelry there which I’ve never seen in Taipei, and it was kind of fun for a half day trip. The HSR makes the travel time to Taichung something like traveling to Tamsui.

My friends from Seattle will come here in a few weeks. This is a must see.

My friends from Seattle will come here in a few weeks. This is a must see.[/quote]

Check out the new tilting trains. They can cover the route in route in 2 hours.

They should maybe leave it in english as its chinese name sounds like: Nicaragua Falls. Then nobody will have a clue. But yes of course its not the NIagara Falls, its a minimini ME version.

I would love to take the new Tilting train to and from Hualian. That should be a lot of fun ! YOu can also take the local bus to Tienshiang and hike the approx 19k back out to the start of the Taroko Gorge as well. Thats pretty fun. And then another bus back to Hualian.

Eastern coast is the best

1. Jiao-shi – hot spring 1.5 hr/ single trip
  2. Su-ao – Cold spring 1.5 hr/ single trip
  3. Hua-lian – Taroco national park (But, you need to take bus or share a taxi there)
    3.0 hr/ single trip
    Remember to tell the train station clerk that you want to buy the seat where can see the view of the coast. (Don’t ask for it in the weekend, it’s impossible!!)