Easy way for people to hate you

en.rocketnews24.com/2012/08/06/k … -in-korea/

These guys do themselves no favors behaving like this. Maybe people should read a few guide books before travelling anywhere?

Oh boy, this reminds me of that post that got temped a long time ago by an Italian guy who came bragging on Forumosa about not paying the bill because “the coffee was not like it is in Italy”. :smiley:

On a related note, friends who own/work in foreign-style restaurants keep complaining that Taiwanese often behave in a similar way. I haven’t heard stories of anyone refusing to pay tbh, but the “this is not how it’s supposed to be” beat is apparently commonly and loudly expressed.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

They will be really shocked if they ever eat at a restaurant in Germany. You usually have to pay even for a glass of tap water there (which I find ridiculous, btw).

You have to pay for bread that is on your table when you sit down, whether you ask for it or not, but only if you touch it.

It’s very common for tourists and visitors to assume that it must be included in the service fee and get pissed off when they find a (often pricey) addition to their bills.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I don’t think that the Korean couple were doing this deliberately to get free food.

It really is done that way in Korea, and no one wants to feel cheated. Were they wrong in getting angry? Most likely yes, but I can understand that it’s a misunderstanding.

I got really mad in the USA because I went to a “Mexican” restaurant and was about to be charged for some jalepnos that I wanted. Maybe they had the right to charge me for it, but I felt it was unacceptable to charge for things like that. Should restaurants charge for ketchup and pepper too?

Jalapenos may not be extra but guacamole certainly is over here.

Extra or not, it’s making me hungry.

I also see this as a misunderstanding, even though I really wonder how come anyone travels to a foreign country without even looking up basic information like price policy, charges, tips (in restaurants and elsewhere) before they go. That’s about the second thing I’d do after checking whether I need a visa or not. So, misunderstanding or not: anyway it’s pretty ignorant.

I got cheated so often while traveling that I am usually pretty suspicious too, though. :wink:

BTW, adding to the “paying for extras in German restaurants”: In Austria you have to pay for the little bags of Ketchup at McDonald’s (as well as for any other sauce). I was always wondering what tourists think about that one.

I had forgotten about this little surprise of Viennese Mcdonalds!! :smiley:

I had forgotten about this little surprise of Viennese Mcdonalds!! :-D[/quote]

It’s probably to save on waste not to be cheap. Sort of like requiring people to pay for plastic bags.

I had forgotten about this little surprise of Viennese Mcdonalds!! :-D[/quote]

It’s probably to save on waste not to be cheap. Sort of like requiring people to pay for plastic bags.[/quote]

I agree.