Eat taiwanese grape skin: yes or no?

My wife insists that I do not eat the skin of Taiwanese grapes. It’s the dark purple, thick kind of skin. Is there a reason for this? I’ve been so used to popping grapes in my mouth and swallowing everything that I wonder if there is any nutritional/toxic reason not to eat the skin of the grapes we buy here.

What say you?

I say 吃葡萄不吐葡萄皮;不吃葡萄倒吐葡萄皮

Edit: For the illiterate, this is just a common tongue twister having to do with eating grapes and spitting out grape skin.

3 Likes

In these kind of situations I imagine someone liberally smearing pesticides over the skin and thinking “no one’s going to eat that”

2 Likes

I don’t eat the skin because it’s too tough and rather tart compared to the rest of the grape. I just bite into the grape, ever so nimbly slip my tongue between the flesh of the grape and the skin, and remove the skin in one mostly intact piece. Then I dig the tip of my tongue into the center and scoop out the seed, as well.

Hmmm…maybe getting a bit too graphic for the forum.

3 Likes

Funny, I was thinking I should start a fruit eating thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Forum is supposed to be graphic.

:laughing:

1 Like

I tried to be a good husband and started peeling. Not one-half of a grape through, I gave up and just chucked it into my mouth.

1 Like

One time when my mom and I were headed back to the United States, she brought some of those grapes with her as a snack. The person seated next to us watched as she painstakingly peeled and seeded the grapes for me (probably 4 years old at the time?), and they said to her, “Wow. You are a great mother.”

1 Like

I happen to like tart as well, so after peeling the 1/2 grape, I was like, “I’m not going to enjoy this. I’m eating the skin.”

You left out the most important part. What happens to the remnants?

1 Like

Yes, the skin of grapes here is hard to chew and therefor Taiwanese spit it out with the pits. Western grapes have a soft skin, some are seedless.

Taiwanese have a boon for this, shrimp with skin, little bone fragments in meat, bones in fish … they like to spit out stuff.

1 Like

Fighting the urge to make a “spit or swallow” poll…

2 Likes

Before I peel off the skin like banana now I got no time for it got no patience.

1 Like

I initially read this as you saying you don’t even bother to peel bananas anymore and was impressed and horrified by the idea of someone eating a banana peel and all.

Just squeeze it out.

This gets better and better…

I sometimes eat oranges and tangerines like apples, peel and all. I have never eaten an entire apple core though.

You wax your intestines?

If it prolongs the life of my car’s body, it should do the same for me.

1 Like