Eating at 7-Eleven

The 711 ramen in Japan gets good reviews. Wonder about Taiwan where they have nearly everything available.

The prepared food is a totally different animal in Taiwan’s 711s. It largely (not totally) sucks.

I was pleasantly surprised however on the east coast where I found 711 chicken rice onigiri (rice triangles) prepared in Hualien—it tasted better than any onigiri I’ve had in Taiwan’s capital or on the west coast, where the food is supplied from different factories.

Guy

4 Likes

I like the sandwiches.

8 Likes

I’m pretty fussy in general, but I can probably count on one inbred hand the number of ready-made meal items in Taiwanese 7-Elevens that I’d voluntarily eat - the list currently stands at those prepackaged boiled eggs, the egg sandwich, the cheese sandwich, and the microwave hot dogs. And I’m using the word “voluntarily” generously here, in the sense of “twice a month, when there’s little else available, walking home from a bar at 3 a.m.” Oh, and the spaghetti bolognese too (a recent addition).

The 7-Elevens in Thailand, though, they’re another animal entirely. They actually have edible stuff there.

4 Likes

Food in 7 Eleven used to be so good.

Last five years or so it has gone to shit.

2 Likes

The tea eggs are good

2 Likes

Soba
Some of the Oden in the hot food section
Fan chuang (sp?) rice triangles
Pinguo Apple Cider
Sandwiches now and again

fan tuan :man_teacher:

4 Likes

They have a Thai style noodle dish with slices of pork on it. It’s not bad.

1 Like

The water is ok in a pinch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pretty decent IMHO. I’ve paid more for worse in restaurants, yes, but it also holds its own. The Family Mart one is not too salty, has enough meat, noodles are not soggy nor taste like cardboard.

Tea eggs in 711 are where it’s at. And roasted sweet potatoes when you can catch them not cooked to death.

2 Likes

I tried the 711 food in Korea… So much better. It was really good. Everything was still seasoned. They even had microwave pizza slices.

I agree with others, it’s fine downhill. I used to enjoy sandwiches such as turkey and chicken. How even the egg salad is gone.
Even the ham and cheese wraps are gone

1 Like

Most ready-made microwave meals I’ve had from 7-11 in Taiwan are closely followed by a salt induced headache

1 Like

Those headaches are probably caused by different forms of sodium, nitrates etc not table salt. Thats why i avoidthem too. Feels like a slow creeping gut cancer is being awakened. But i still eat it cause im just a simpleton that ignores reality haha.

1 Like

…never mind the piping-hot-microwaved-in-plastic effect…

I wonder how many microplastics or other toxins are accumulating in our bodies?

It’s really a dumb way to consume food, perhaps only rivaled by the boiling hot soup in plastic bags take out move. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

the sandwiches are great, along with the salads and microwaveable corn soup.
the 關東煮 is also great (the soup is free!)
the rice triangles are good, the microwaveable curry is probably the best microwaveable dish but the pasta is kinda good too. they have really good tea eggs and a guilty pleasure of mine are the hot dogs

:face_vomiting:

Guy

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you lot are complaining about. I’ve never been to Britain or the US, but from what I’ve heard, the convenience store food is utter shit. In South Africa, there aren’t even any cornershops anymore, due to the fear of armed robbery. The only place you can get a rotten old snake and pygmy pie is a 24-hour petrol garage where the cashier sits behind two panes of bullet-proof glass.
The Taiwan 7-Elevens are brilliant.

5 Likes

Ignorance is bliss :slight_smile: