Eating at 7-Eleven

I don’t remember the last time I stayed in a Taiwanese hotel where the included breakfast was worth getting up for (so I usually don’t, then eat lunch outside).

When I have gotten up in time, I tend to just look at everything, make this face:

YidhpEY

at each of the presented items, then figure I better eat some toast and margarine so as not to look impolite now I’ve gone down there…then go eat lunch outside anyway.

I’m quite happy when the hotel just gives some vouchers for the local danbing place though. Saves them money, saves me the disappointment of waking up for breakfast then just finding congee, soggy vegetables, and fried rice dishes.

3 Likes

Oo, using the margarine. You’re braver than I am. Toast and usually peanuts for me.

1 Like

Yeah, even the margarine is a disappointment!

1 Like

I only like family Mart Congee and not shit hotel Congee. I also like fancy Congee.

1 Like

If proper Cantonese style congee is available, sign me up!

The watery gruel in Taiwan, however . . . not so much.

Guy

1 Like

The century egg one?

If you fix a hangover with hot sauce, we are a very different species. You must be one tough SOB!

1 Like

They had one with Salmon I liked.

Most hot sauces aren’t hot, especially if mixed in with congee

Ive noticed something though with that. Correct me if i am wrong. The huge low quality brands (franks, tobasco etc) arent hot as they seem to be aiming for the cheap mass production end of things. Not shiting on that, it just is what it is. The smaller companies promoting less chemicals, local produce, fair living wages or what have you tend to be way hotter. Way higher percentage of actual chili compared to cheap fillers like the big guys. I like the hot sauce with ashort expiration date. That alone speaks volumes.

All the hot sauce we buy here is quite hot. Way too hot for me. Tobasco i could eat like nothing if i wanted to eat that brand . But the other stuff is more to compliment flavors and creat great food rather than drench food like its a 711 salad dressing in order to cover up low quality meat and veg lol.

1 Like

Any idea why Risotto Rice is so expensive, it seems be same as Japanese rice, at least the 7-11 ones seem use short grain rice.

Arborio is a cultivar of the Japonica group of varieties of Oryza sativa.

1 Like

Are Arborio Rice and Sushi Rice Interchangeable?

Arborio rice and sushi rice are similar in shape and size, and both have a relatively high amount of the starch amylopectin, but Arborio rice isn’t a great choice for Asian dishes because of a defect called “chalk.” During maturation, the starch structures at the core of an Arborio grain deform, making for a firm, toothy center when cooked. While this trait is great for risotto—it gives the dish its signature al dente texture—it’s less than ideal for sushi or for a rice to accompany Asian dishes. Conversely, we’ve tried making risotto with sushi rice. Tasters reported that the resulting risotto was creamy, but “it wasn’t risotto” because the grains lacked the quintessential al dente bite of Arborio rice. The bottom line? Arborio rice and sushi rice are not interchangeable in recipes.

I don’t know why arborio rice is more expensive (probably related to the scale at which it is consumed and produced in comparison with sushi rice). But it seems that, if you prepare risotto with sushi rice, it doesn’t taste like “the real thing”. An important thing in the preparation is that, for sushi, you wash the rice to remove the starch, but for risotto you don’t.

1 Like

Good post ! I wonder which rice 7-11 and Family use for risotto

2 Likes

I havent ever had a convenience store meal with proper rissoto rice. I did once have one of those seeweed wrapped triangles with undercooked rice. Much different, but A for effort.

Pretty sure the risotto brands of rice are easy enough to buy online. We just finished a bag the mrs bought. It was alright. Probably if i could cook well it would be better!

1 Like

You could microwave the risotto.

1 Like

The rice? Never tried cooking rice with a microwave. Also dont have a microwave :frowning:

1 Like

The convenience stores are microwaving the risotto.

Oh ya. But they are already cooked. They are heating them up.

Several cooking processes will have been employed prior to packaging, for sure.

1 Like

I have done this before, the first time it was bit hard (some may say its ok than too soft), so now after few times it’s better. I also tried a rice cooker, which was ok.

Have a rice pot?