Eating dogs in Korea

I know we should not eat cows or sheep or other mammals either. But more importantly how humanely are these dogs killed? In the USA at least an attempt is made to kill cows humanely in most cases as well as pigs with a stun gun blow to the head that (in most cases) knocks them unconscious. But these dogs? ARe they just set upon with baseball bats and beaten to death? I read some people are extra cruel believing that beating them to death brings the blood pressure up and makes a better tasting meat.

I don’t think we should eat dogs and cats. And personally I am eating less beef and pork. Now mainly eating chickens as far as meat goes.

Beyond eating these dogs, I am concerned as to HOW they are killed.

I thought it became illegal to kill dogs for meat last year. Is there some loophole? I know it’s not illegal to eat dog meat, but how would you get it? Import?

It’s illegal (edited) in Taiwan but they still occasionally discover a Taiwan dog meat plant. Don’t know how they kill them.

Cows generally get knocked in the head but they aren’t always dead before the throat is cut.

I believe they are killed in an inhumane way. Maybe not all the time. The thinking is that the rush of adrenaline (the actual chemicals involved) makes the meat taste better. So, so messed up. There are people in Korea working on this issue but obviously the practice remains.

Is there actually any truth to this?

You mean illegal…

I have no idea. I always had dae-gu tang (spicy fish soup) when going to these places, which was only about three times (as a male, it’s hard to avoid some things in Korea).

Yes I mean illegal, by the way I have no strikethrough capabilities.

me neither

i agree with what tommy said. chickens are fair game. some species of bird are very smart, but chicken isn’t one of them. lay off the cows and pigs though. although we will probably be able to eat stem cell beef and pork soon, which is cool by me. chicks should also not be eaten. wait for them to grow up first. not eating babys should be a general rule when it comes to eating animals anyway.

1 Like

strikethrough

~~strikethrough~~
2 Likes

In all other animals, its the complete opposite: it ruins the texture and flavour of the meat. Most slaughterhouses make at least half an attempt to minimize stress for this reason, but they found recently that a more cost-effective solution is to train customers to expect poor-quality meat. Hence the higher throughput and attendant cruelty in modern meat factories.

The govt generally turns a blind eye.

I remember reading that some foreign laborers were caught cooking dog and arrested recently.
I’ve eaten it once at a Korean restaurant in China. I didn’t care for it, it was very stringy. Someone in Taiwan once told me dogs didn’t like him because he had once eaten dog meat. My dog liked me fine.

I had seen a vid once somewhere in rural China where these big dogs were skinned alive and left to die a slow and painful death without their fur and outer skin
Abject cruelty

If you must eat an animal please kill it quickly with little to no pain

The question cant be answered cause its an unregulated industry. Treat it like bush meat. Each person will kill it differently so it cant really be said as its not a farmed animal.

I habe no issues with dog over other animals. Thays why i became vegetarian because they way they are raised and treated. That said if i hunt and kill it humabely i eat meat and love it. But that factory farmed crap we pass off as food is not clean, healthy or moral. Doesnt matter the species. I think people just need to be more honest and reasonable. If we eat beef or pork and not dogs, just be real and say we dont eat dog because we like dogs. Even the face saving traditional taiwanese folk say straight up we dont eat beef (older generations) because we respect oxen as work animals. Same for westerners with dog or cats as pets. We have a connection to them and wouldnt eat them. Its not wrong or bad to say this, if anythinf its commendable. Half the people dont even call seafood meat…its just their connect.

As mentioned it should be the HOW the meat is obtained, not so much what meat is obtained (perhaps exceptions given to endangered species and feeding a species the same species for health reasons).

1 Like

I can’t do that

Sorry I’m dense what’s all this strike through mean?

I have no idea :yum: @tempogain taught us a new trick.
~~I promise it will only be used when required now its broken

Oh no, this can be happening those poor fur babies. It is illegal anywhere to eat dog meat.

rockandroll