Eating habits

I have been dating a girl for quite some time and everything is splendid except for one thing.

She doesn’t chew with her mouth closed. I just can’t seem to breach the subject but it’s disgusting to no end. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to solve (or get over it)?

I absolutely hate the sound of chewing food.

Ecaps

Does her name begin with ‘R’?

Well…simply put…

There is no hidden or secret way of telling her. If it really bugs you and you want it resolved you can do one of 3 things:

1.) Accept that she has this annoying habbit and learn to live with it…cardinal sin #1 of any relationship is thinking a person will change habbits, personality, etc.

2.) Tell her your concerns. Ask her if there are things that you do that annoy her…make it a mutual “get it all out on the table” discussion. Of course do it lovingly and with compassion. She may not even realize that she does it. She may also have a breathing disorder. I remember reading a while back about how people who chew with their mouth open most likely have trouble breathing through their nose. Watch her when she doesnt have anything in her mouth. If she breaths normally through her mouth rather than her nose, this may be the cause of her annoying habbit. There are other studies that also show that people who have a deep fear of drowining or claustrophobia chew with their mouth open. Again, the restriction of breathing only through the nose can lead to discomfort. However, it is most likely just a case of habbit and a lack of being taught cultured manners.

3.) End it, if it really really bothers you…move on. There are many, many fish in the sea.

Good luck!

BTW: I dated a girl once that always covered her mouth with her right hand while chewing. After the 3rd date it was driving me nuts. I asked her why, and she said it was because she felt the need to keep her mouth open while chewing (the whole breathing through the nose problem stated above) and that she didnt want to be rude. Our relationship lasted about 5 months, but her habbit isnt what broke it off. Eventually I just got used to it.

You could try smiling at her slightly when she occasionally chews with her mouth closed; and frowning slightly when she chews with it open. Since she’ll subconsciously prefer the smile to the frown, she’ll respond by chewing with it closed more and more often.

If this proves too slow or ineffective, simply substitute a whack with an electric mosquito racquet for the frown.

I had an ex like that. YOu have to tell her.

maybe approach the subject by asking her why she must keep her mouth open while chewing. tell her if anything falls out of her mouth you will eat it. that might disgust her enough to stop.

The girl I’m dating now did that (and sometimes still does), but I simply told her that it’s one thing that drives me crazy and she stopped. Every once in a while she’ll still do it, but she’s made a conscious effort to stop. I think it’s one of those things that a person does not realize they do until someone tells them. In my case, it wasn’t a big deal at all.

I don’t think it’s considered bad manners here. I remember when I had a TV, they used to have the most disgusting ad for some kind of canned peanut soup/dessert stuff featuring a happy granny being given a case of the stuff, popping a can and snorking the stuff straight from the can while cackling and thanking her kids, mouth wide open, semi-masticated peanut gloop gaily displayed right there in my living room.
Gross!

[quote=“Dragonbones”]You could try smiling at her slightly when she occasionally chews with her mouth closed; and frowning slightly when she chews with it open. Since she’ll subconsciously prefer the smile to the frown, she’ll respond by chewing with it closed more and more often.
[/quote]

Or every time she chews with her mouth open, you can blast an air horn in her face.

Not subtle, but it just might work. :rainbow:

I don’t know why it would. Dofu is constantly watching for food falling or flying out of Bjorn’s mouth… and Dofu happily eats whatever does fall or fly out of Bjorn’s big dumb mouth.

Wow, your kids sure have weird names.

And they do too, they’re cute though.

HG

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll give one or two a whirl and see what happens.

I dated a really hot [local] girl here once. She was a bit shy, you know, the ultra cute innocent type… (so I thought). While strolling through the Shilin night market one night, all that changed. She grabbed a chick “part” off a “roba” food stand (I think it was a chicken neck or something) and chomped the sucker down as if she hadn’t eaten for weeks…

Call me sick but watching her wolf that puppy down was a hell of a turn on… had me walking around with a semi for the rest of the night. :hungry: :lick:

[quote=“zerosum”]I dated a really hot [local] girl here once. She was a bit shy, you know, the ultra cute innocent type… (so I thought). While strolling through the Shilin night market one night, all that changed. She grabbed a chick “part” off a “roba” food stand (I think it was a chicken neck or something) and chomped the sucker down as if she hadn’t eaten for weeks…

Call me sick but watching her wolf that puppy down was a hell of a turn on… had me walking around with a semi for the rest of the night. :hungry: :lick:[/quote]

You are sick, buddy…

[quote=“Indiana”][quote=“zerosum”]I dated a really hot [local] girl here once. She was a bit shy, you know, the ultra cute innocent type… (so I thought). While strolling through the Shilin night market one night, all that changed. She grabbed a chick “part” off a “roba” food stand (I think it was a chicken neck or something) and chomped the sucker down as if she hadn’t eaten for weeks…

Call me sick but watching her wolf that puppy down was a hell of a turn on… had me walking around with a semi for the rest of the night. :hungry: :lick:[/quote]

You are sick, buddy…[/quote]

:howyoudoin: :howyoudoin: :howyoudoin:

Lord knows there are enough people here eating with their mouths open. Maybe you could just point to someone else and say “Isn’t that the sickest thing you’ve seen? It’s so rude! etc. etc.” Maybe she’ll get the hint.

I don’t think it’s necessary to give a subtle hint. I’d say just tell her honestly, straightforward, but as politely as possible that it bothers you, that you were taught by your parents to chew with your mouth closed and could she please try to do the same.

Sandman’s right that apparently it’s not considered rude here – parents don’t teach their children to close their mouths when chewing – but I’d bet that is changing as people acquire more education and exposure to Western ways.

On a similar note, it used to gross me out that my wife would pick her teeth after a meal with one of those little plastic flossing picks, then leave the pick lying on the dining room table, as people commonly do here. I told her that grossed me out and she now picks more discreetly and throws the pick away when done. I think she may even feel good that her behavior is now slightly more civilized (or at least that’s my guess). So, such comments can be made. Of course it’s different with a wife and a GF. My wife’s stuck with me; your GF can tell you to go F@#$ck yourself.

It is cultural. It’s something I can’t stand and I have spent 8 years trying to keep my daughter (8yrs old) from doing it.

While in kindergarten she said “But daddy, all the kids eat like that.”

And on another occasion “But food tastes better that way.” I have heard adult Taiwanese say the same thing.

And also “But ama and agong eat like that.” and so on.

[quote=“Diego”]It is cultural. It’s something I can’t stand and I have spent 8 years trying to keep my daughter (8yrs old) from doing it.

While in kindergarten she said “But daddy, all the kids eat like that.”

And on another occasion “But food tastes better that way.” I have heard adult Taiwanese say the same thing.

And also “But ama and agong eat like that.” and so on.[/quote]

When I am at home and comfortable I always eat with my mouth open, I enjoy it! I really do think it makes the food taste better or something, or just being able to shovel the food in your mouth and enjoy the taste instead of thinking about your appearance. After my parents divorced I rarely ate a meal with my family so this possibly comes from eating alone in my room for years, also as a kid I had issues with breathing through my nose, so that supports that theory…