Eating with US$1 challenge

Is it possible to accomplish the “Eating a whole day with U$1 challenge” in TW?

2 Likes

33 years ago when Elon was 17? Sure.

3 Likes

His dad owned an emerald mine…

6 Likes

No it is not possible—unless you want to risk malnutrition.

Guy

What’s that, 40NT? It’s possible.

At current exchange rates, we’re talking just over NT$29 / day.

Guy

1 Like

That’s more of a challenge.

How long ago was that? Maybe the dollar needs to be adjusted for inflation. Make that 5 dollars.

You can’t eat for a dollar a day in Taiwan, I think the military has that budget per soldier for their mess halls but I have no idea what kind of quantity do you need before this is even possible.

1 Like

We could try a Forumosa 29NT a day challenge. Anyone who doesn’t get hospitalised within a week is weak.

2 Likes

those little packs of cheetohs at 7-11/family mart are $10 each. If the exchange rate hits right…mission accomplished?

Also lol @ the Musk puffery. As stated earlier, he comes from a very rich “small loan of a million dollars” family.

2 Likes

I’m aware that he’s from a rich background and he’s a twat.

However, that’s not relevant to how little people can eat every day.

“We had so much money, at times we couldn’t even close our safe”. Elon’s dad.

1 Like

sorry my man I didn’t mean to reply to you directly. Intended to just make a general comment :rofl:

1 Like

Hotdogs every meal was a poor choice. One needs to question the thinking there. Always eating the same thing?

When I was a student, I could find Vietnamese banh mi for CAN$1 on Spadina Avenue not far from the university. Those lovely people kept me alive and well during those years. When I returned to Toronto a decade later, the women working at that shop still remembered me!

Guy

3 Likes

One of the things I miss the most since leaving the US ironically. Lee’s Sandwiches (a Vietnamese food/iced coffee chain - if you know, you know!) has the best banh mi in the world it seems, and since coming to Taiwan I have not found anything to remotely compare…

Banh mi place close to my place in Taipei is $100+ and they overcook the bread. Fails this challenge and well, fails as a meal honestly.

1 Like

The only place in Taipei City that I think is currently up to speed is Bich Loan in Gongguan. Their banh mi come in around NT$80-90—Taipei pricing, it is what it is, and will clearly not help the OP find his inner Musk. Despite this limitation, give it a try and let us know what you think.

Interestingly, in Taiwan’s lovely East Rift Valley, there are heaps of Vietnamese places, and lots of Vietnamese speakers—and the food is good!

Guy

2 Likes

They opened here seven years ago. Didn’t last long, unfortunately.

EDIT: Why the heck is Subway the only sandwich chain to survive here?! Not that Quizno’s is amazing, nor Lee’s, but they’re a step up from Subway.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/2782828

4 Likes

Yea I’m not all too excited about vietnamese food in Taiwan honestly. The ones in the states are better even if they are still a bit expensive. Ones here are not only overpriced, they’re terrible and tiny too. 8 dollars got you a huge bowl of pho in the states.

Grocery is actually expensive in Taiwan.

Is that this place? 阿鸞手工法國麵包? (Somewhere deep in the photos I found “Bich Loan” on the sign.)

1 Like