Economic policies for Taiwan?

Wait sorry for my ignorance on it but does hybrid person means modified by computer like human modified

Merge with big brother :star_struck:

Very true. But be fruitful and multiply and always build more are old ideas.

As for elder care, foreigners can certainly be part of the solution, but the ones who are suitable for elder care arenā€™t necessarily the same ones who are suitable for construction.

If conditions for domestic workers improve (and the government does have a say in it), that will make the field more attractive. If conditions donā€™t improve, and enough scandals come to light, countries with a modicum of self respect might (as they have occasionally in the past) pull the plug and refuse to send more. So again, I think there needs to be more focus on quality.

The correct problem is Taiwanā€™s youth population is cratering while it elderly population explodes.
Thereā€™s not enough workers in almost every industry already let alone caregiving. Factories have ads everywhere looking for workers, almost every restaurant , bus companiesā€¦You name it.

Caregiver demand will surely explode as the two kids per family (and in latter years one kid per family ) will not be able to look after their parents adequately .

This is no considering the knowledge industries which are also expanding at a rapid clip

So they definitely need to import more workers.

First it should start by letting those already here become permanent residents and citizens instead of forcing them back . This current policy makes no sense as when they go back they have families and invest over thereā€¦Not here.

Sounds like the decades old policy of the ā€œgreatest nation on earthā€!

Why not? Taiwan has many advantages (the big ones are proximity, safety and low cost of living) and it can have even more if it adopts the right policies.

Taiwan doesnā€™t need them all anyways. If it can attract just 10 percent of the qualified workforce going to Canada it will still give a lot of economic benefits.

2 Likes

I think he is talking about a remotely controlled robot or something like that.

Low cost of living is not always desirable. If I have the ability to earn high waves, Iā€™d like to live in a place with a high standard of living.

People who are migrating to places like Canada or Australia are doing it for economic and social benefits, and also one big reason: language. Those who are comfortable with English and/or want their kids to be, only have a few choices. And Taiwan is definitely not amongst those, for a long-term.

Lastly Taiwan is not politically stable.

1 Like

I canā€™t imagine the bar being so high that it excludes 95% of countries if you call Taiwan ā€˜unstableā€™.

Most people in Philippines just assume that Taiwan is part of China.
They donā€™t have much knowledge about Taiwan , and vice-versa.
The language is a huge barrier.
Itā€™s not insurmountable, but it also make things difficult.

2 Likes

Note that I said that Taiwan cannot and should not try to get all the immigrants just some.

1. Low cost of living is good because a lot of the immigrants have little money and need to spend all of their life savings to stay alive until they get a job in the destination.

2. Taiwan is not behind Canada in economic terms anymore. COVID sped up the process of Taiwan catching up by almost a decade and I will bet that quality of life will be higher in Taiwan within the decade.

3. Language: thatā€™s one of the areas where the new policies come into play

4. Again Taiwan doesnā€™t beed them all. Just some is enough for now.

He may be referring to the fear of invasion.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not what political stability is.

If thatā€™s the case, then the risk of invasion would be better words.

1 Like

Agreed for many low paid immigrants, low cost living is good. But as far as political instability and language issues go, I donā€™t think anything will change in Taiwan for the next decade or even more. New policies regarding language have been brought many times in the past, isnā€™t it? Itā€™s not that they donā€™t know the problem. There is just too much resistance to changing the way things are done.

It would cost maybe 1 month of work to hire someone and write all application forms, legal documents of a bank in English. Much of it is just standard terminology. So why donā€™t they do it? They donā€™t see a benefit to it. And due to that, they suffer in other places - Taiwan is never going to be a financial hub like HK or Singapore. Many entities just wonā€™t do business with it.

improve employment conditions to be on par with the west. for example :more annual leave days, maternity leave, better social rights and then the talented young workers wonā€™t leave TW to pick fruit in Australia or try to immigrate to USA.

The labour law here is actually not that bad now for white collar workers (for blue collar migrants itā€™s non existent ).

I found many while collars in my home country in Europe are on 1 year contracts which I donā€™t think is that common here in big companies .

Itā€™s the expectations at work that are a big issue . Still expectations of longer working hours and bow down to the big boss. Fair amount of backbiting.

Sure you donā€™t get 20 days leave out of the gate like Europe, unfortunately. As for maternity and paternity leave, again thatā€™s quite patchy across the world.

20 days leave out of the gate, are you serious? I just got hired and I need a 20-day vacation.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you can get it literally out of the gate but rather in your first year. Here is the list:

P.S. Holy shit, Iran national plus paid vacation days total to 53 days a year of paid leave hahaha

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I mean. ā€¦Taiwan and countries like the US has pretty shitty amount of leave .

Itā€™s a tested idea. Thereā€™s a broad consensus that a larger population is good for the economy. Thereā€™s no consensus on whether itā€™s good for the environment.