Editorial calls for getting rid of Lien

One of the 3 newspapers here at the weekend ran an unsigned editorial commentary that sort of maybe apparently called for the ‘‘assasination’’ of Lien Chan. Did anyone see that?

Is that kind of talk libelous? Or criminal? Or was it said in jest?
It might have been a translation of the Chinese language papers and then printed in English, too. But strong words…

taipeitimes.com/News/edit/ar … 2003252581

QUOTE LAST PARA:
Lien’s latest betrayal can only have us wondering how long it will be before Taiwanese decide his antics must be stopped. English King Henry II once asked of Archbishop Thomas Becket, “Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?” We ask: Will no one rid Taiwan of this treacherous Lien Chan?

Not particularly surprising from the Times. I’m surprised they showed enough restraint to put it on the op/ed page instead of the “news” page.

Killing Lian Zhan is not taboo in Taiwan, obviously, see here:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 104#344104

Yea, you would never hear anyone from the KMT/PFP/CCP alliance uttering anything like that about President Chen, or writing an unsigned editorial to the newspaper, they would just try to assinate him on the eve of his second term win.

I can’t find the link, but I thought I remember either Lien or Soong (I forget which) suggesting just that a bit after Chen won reelection. Anyone else remember this?

Tomtom: yes, I remeber that. I think both Lien and Soong hinted at that.

For Lien: It was in reference to some sort of ancient Chinese justice system that if the leader is bad, it is alright for you to kill him. That is what Lien said. Sick, sick, sick. No wonder he gets along so well with the Communist Butchers of Beijing.

For Soong: it was during the days of street protest following his defeat. I think he went a little too far and said too much and hinted also about attacking President Chen.

[quote=“Cola”]One of the 3 newspapers here at the weekend ran an unsigned editorial commentary that sort of maybe apparently called for the ‘‘assasination’’ of Lien Chan. Did anyone see that?

It might have been a translation of the Chinese language papers and then printed in English…[/quote]

You seriously think that any of the local newspaper hacks could have even heard of Thomas Becket? :laughing: