Editoring in Taiwan

I just finally realised why I lost my first job in Taiwan - In a patent office.

They wanted an editor with some english and technical knowledge - they did not want an engineer who would might suggest how better to get on with the job.

So I was sacked for not being a team player - or maybe I just pissed off one shao jie “engineer” - ask stupid questions - like “Do you really want to get a patent for this client” or even worse “there is no way you can get a patent for this client - you seriously mislead him if you suggested he could”

Welcome to the club, Grasshopper.

quote:
Originally posted by rian: I just finally realised why I lost my first job in Taiwan - In a patent office.

They wanted an editor with some english and technical knowledge - they did not want an engineer who would might suggest how better to get on with the job.

So I was sacked for not being a team player - or maybe I just pissed off one shao jie “engineer” - ask stupid questions - like “Do you really want to get a patent for this client” or even worse “there is no way you can get a patent for this client - you seriously mislead him if you suggested he could”

That’s the way most Taiwan organizations operate. The input or suggestions of anyone but the boss is not welcome or sought (no matter how contributory they may be) and lord have mercy if you make constructive criticisms.

It’s pretty sad…considering Taiwan has a HUGE amount of technical talent but very little managerial knowledge. Complaints, dissent and even helpful suggestions simply get swallowed up.