Effectiveness or otherwise of Ivermectin for treating anything/everything

Obviously. But the side effects are known, and quantified, because (unlike, say, mRNA vaccines) it’s a very old product and a lot of information has been gleaned from real-life application. What the drug is being prescribed for, broadly speaking, has no impact on the side effects that it causes. So we know the risks. All we need to quantify are the benefits (if any).

No, it isn’t inherently unethical. If it were, then it would be impossible to conduct any clinical study.

What I was suggesting is that people could be enrolled in large-scale trials. Give people the choice. Make sure you get informed consent. If it does some good then you’ve got two for the price of one: a lot of information, and a lot of happy customers. This is not like a new-drug trial where one has to guesstimate the possible problems.

I’m not “recommending” any course of treatment or prophylaxis. I certainly wasn’t suggesting giving it to all healthy people; I was suggesting asking identifiable high-risk patients if they’d like to try it. I’m suggesting that we should not prevent doctors from running trials out in the field. Issuing dire threats against doctors who want to prescribe ivermectin off-label - which is not in itself illegal - is precisely the sort of thing that gives rise to conspiracy theories. Given that it’s a relatively safe drug, one starts to wonder what the regulators are afraid of.

You’re right that there seem to be very few good-quality studies out there. Could this be because doctors are afraid to even attempt to document their efforts for fear of being struck off, or worse?

If you’re going to accuse the people producing positive results of fraud, that’s a serious accusation. It’s not impossible, of course; such things do happen. But fraud is rare, precisely because it’s easy to spot. Careers are usually ruined by fraud. People with any sense don’t do it.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of paranoia being displayed in the thread.

This is wonder drug number what…Five or six …Now ?

It’s funny but dexamethasone was studied and approved and nobody is getting especially rich off it.

Cognitive dissonance much ?

4 Likes

If you had to pay full cost for whichever vaccine becomes available to you, would you consider something else? You’re making false equivalencies. I say be open to anything besides a rush job vaccine that the head of the gain of function research in Wuhan stated was impossible to achieve. (this is for my own self I’m not trying to suggest anyone else do what I do)

I have bought some in case I ever get symptoms. Been taking Vit D since March 2020 as well. Have had 2 pfizer shots too but think there is a solid case to have some of this stored.

Another major ivermectin proponent is the Frontline Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC), which has been trying to repurpose medicines already on the market for the treatment of Covid-19. In October it created the I-MASK+ protocol for prevention and early outpatient treatment, which includes ivermectin, vitamin D3, vitamin C, zinc, melatonin and quercetin *.

The FLCCC believes that ivermectin is not only “one of the world’s safest, cheapest and most widely available drugs,” it is also the most effective against Covid. “The studies we presented to the NIH revealed high levels of statistical significance showing large magnitude benefit in transmission rates, need for hospitalization and death,” says Dr. Pierre Kory of the FLCCC, who twice gave testimony to the US Congress on Covid-19.

Besides the dozens of clinical studies conducted so far on the efficacy of ivermectin against Covid, the FLCCC also cites “natural experiments” in Peru, Brazil, Paraguay, the Dominican Republic and Mexico where ivermectin was distributed widely, with “large decreases in case counts … soon after distribution began.”

Another recent convert to the cause is Dr Alessandro Santin, a renowned cancer researcher who runs a large laboratory at Yale. Santin believes that ivermectin is a game-changer that could significantly reduce Covid’s toll on human health.

“The bottom line is that ivermectin works. I’ve seen that in my patients as well as treating my own family in Italy,” Santin said, in reference to his father, 88, who recently suffered a serious bout of COVID. “We must find a way to administer it on a large scale.”

In an interview with Italian daily Il Fatto Quotidiano , Santin explains why he believes ivermectin is so effective against Covid:

• Its powerful anti-viral properties : “The theory behind the main mechanism of action is that ivermectin attaches itself to Sars-Cov2’s Spike1 protein as well as at various strategic points used by the virus to bind and enter our cells. This is why it can also work against variants, unlike monoclonal antibodies.”
  • Its anti-inflammatory activity : “Ivermectin has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect similar to that of cortisone. But unlike with cortisone, the effect is not immunosuppressive. Therefore the immune response of both T cells and B cells (producing antibodies) continues to function under ivermectin, acting on the transcription factor NF-KB (which informs our body to produce cytokines and causes a real cytokine storm when hyperactivated by Covid). This is why the drug also works well during the advanced phase of the disease”.
  • I t even seems to help long-haulers: “I have treated and am treating ‘long haulers’, including people who have been sick for a year and who do not breathe well, who have tried out everything to no avail. Within two weeks of starting them on ivermectin… these people have started to live again, with practically no side effects. The virus is an intracellular parasite; only if it enters our cells can it use the cellular machine to replicate. If it can’t get in and hack our immune system, then it stays out on the doormat and gets attacked by our immune system much more easily.”
    It’s Time To Talk About Ivermectin | naked capitalism An extremely cheap, safe and widely available off-patent medicine appears to be saving the lives of covid-19 patients across Latin America and beyond. Yet hardly anybody’s talking about it.
3 Likes

For anyone interested that thinks it is like bleach :expressionless:

User Clip: Dr. Pierre Kory US Senate hearing - Ivermectin is 100% cure for COVID-19 | C-SPAN.org

1 Like

Well, fair enough then. Let’s see some proper studies, including mechanisms. Not this “the theory is that it binds to the spike protein” waffle. Show me the binding mechanism and I’ll be happier.

And i mentioned ‘proper’ trials. Not like those shonky ones referenced in https://ivmmeta.com/

and as a side effect, no more intestinal worms!

5 Likes

Here’s something more useful.

Sotrovimab approved by US FDA (EUA) with 85% reduction in hospitalisation and death in high risk outpatients.

You want somethng that works…Ask for that.

1 Like

That was an impassioned plea from someone who has the look of beating his head against the wall trying to get this message out. Thanks for the clip.

2 Likes

Here are the proper dosage parameters if anyone does get it (page 9). Interesting comparisons on Page 3 as well.

Basically I will only take it as preventative if I am going to go in a high risk situation like flying. Given my weight (over 100 kg), I would take four pills a day for a day, then just that dosage weekly. Likewise, if I believed I had symptoms, I would do the same at home.

But right now–just storing it will do. Hope to never use it but the evidence seems really solid:

FLCCC-Protocols-–-A-Guide-to-the-Management-of-COVID-19.pdf (covid19criticalcare.com)

Sotrovimab Don’t disagree–once you have it and are hospitalised. But given its emergency use mandate, it will not be readily available in many places.

And I am a champion of the 3rd World. :grin:

For preventative purposes (as well as when you are symptomatic), for people in the developing world (where they might not have had 2 vaccines yet or even 1, or access new cutting edge meds like Sotrovimab), and given its cheapness and availability having been used in livestock for years, I would say it makes a lot of sense to utilise Ivermectin in the preventative or early symptom stages.

Time to talk to some of my Chinese lab contacts.

A citywide initiative in Mexico City to prescribe ivermectin to COVID-19 patients resulted in a plunge in hospitalizations and deaths, two studies found.

Hospitalizations were down by as much as 76%, according to research by the Mexican Digital Agency for Public Innovation, Mexico’s Ministry of Health and the Mexican Social Security Institute

1 Like

Why are you lot quoting from all these political sites ?Who the hell are WND…Desert News …LifeSite etc ?

echochamber news.

1 Like

This one is a reputable source and great headline .

By the way more metastudies and a randomised placebo type trial have concluded ivermectin had no discernible therapeutic effect.

Stick to the dexmethasone and monoclonal antibodies and most importantly get vaccinated!

The data far outstrips the results felt sufficient to recommend Remdesivir, Casiri/imdevimab, dexamethasone, and budesonide to treat symptomatic COVID-19.

Who’s Afraid of Ivermectin? | American Council on Science and Health (acsh.org)

Who are ACSH ?
Lots of crappy studies don’t beat one great large scale study . The dexmethasone one was run by the NHS in the UK on thousands of patients.

1 Like

Brian,
You’re not going to take it. That’s your choice. To insinuate that people lack intelligence and the ability to reason is on you. You have fallen for the media garbage that misquoted a president, used an anecdote to prove an epidemic and been scared into a state. Please take the time to do a google search before you make equivalencies like you have been.

2 Likes

You are seeing this thru your politics paranoia conspiracy lense…You want to believe .

Getting the info from all these fringe political sites.

My mate started talking about this and it is all part of the conspiracy thinking that he has gotten into since this whole thing kicked off and it’s very sad to see from the outside . Gong on and on about how the vaccines are dangerous the govt are turning into totalitarians… … On and on and on…

I’ve just spent half an hour going through this stuff and I really could not find anything solid whatsoever .

It’s all part of this conspiracy mindset .

There are drugs that work amazingly well called monoclonal antibodies and dexamethasone but you don’t talk about them because they don’t fit this conspiracy story.

3 Likes

It’s not sides.

1 Like