Effectiveness or otherwise of Ivermectin for treating anything/everything

To anyone willing to look at the science.

This is funny. In your other comments, you make unsubstantiated claims about the vaccines, yet you’re promoting the use of ivermectin along with an SSRI. Really, bro? Are you not aware of the notorious reputation SSRIs have?

And to promote SSRI use in people without the conditions SSRIs are approved to treat? LOL.

https://med.unsw.edu.au/news-events/news/what-antidepressants-can-do-brain-not-depressed

2 Likes

A short treatment of SSRIs won’t cause lasting damage.

These are repurposed drugs with known safety profiles. You are apples to oranges once again.

I know a little bit about SSRIs. I agree that they are rather unpleasant drugs and I believe Steve Kirsch’s promotion of their indiscriminate use is unwarranted, particularly since he seems to be suggesting they need not be used as a prophylactic, but are effective as a treatment for “long COVID”. I’m not a fan, personally, of the modern habit of throwing three or four pills at something on the basis that if one pill is good, then four pills better.

If you watch the video Weinstein does challenge him on this, but they agree to disagree and move on.

The fact that fluvoxamine has unpleasant side effects does not, in itself, imply that it should be excluded from the list of potentially-helpful drugs. A lot of drugs are horrible. They are used on the basis of a risk-benefit analysis, and that ought to be the case here. In other words, clinicians should be left alone to make the decisions they think best for their patients, on a case-by-case basis.

Ivermectin is a whole different ballgame. Dismissing it on the basis of “lack of evidence” is disgraceful. If you’re going to ignore clinical observations, at least go and bloody collect some evidence in a manner that you believe is valid. Then announce the facts. Don’t just announce that you don’t intend to do any research on it because you can’t be bothered.

Yawn. Nothing to see here. Move along. And don’t forget to wear you magic masks, people! Masks work better if you burn some ghost money too!

WTAF? How are these statements logically compatible? At the very least, some further comment is needed to unpack that.

Also worth pointing out that intubation is no longer used in cases of COVID-related hypoxemia unless no other option is available. But of course, since Chang is an expert, he knows that already.

1 Like

Why did anyone think of trying it in the first place?

These are drugs with strong anti-inflammatory properties.

1 Like

It’s interesting how the anti-narrative goes something like “hahahaha it’s a worm treatment, what a load of nonsense”. Even when couched in academic language, that’s the thrust of the argument.

Well, yes, it’s used to treat worms, but that doesn’t describe what the chemical is, or the totality of what it does. People were experimenting with it because they had hunch that it might be helpful, not because they were anti-vaxxers trying to undermine vaccination programmes and create a conspiracy theory.

In the first video they discuss the discovery of avermectins. It’s a fascinating class of substances - for the skeptics, I recommend reading up on the history and biochemistry. There is undoubtedly a lot we don’t know about what they do, or their role in natural ecosystems.

EDIT: even Wikipedia has a paragraph dedicated to discrediting qualified professionals who testified under oath that Ivermectin is of clinical value in COVID treatment.

1 Like

There are loads of them. Have they tried diclofenac?

I have to admit I haven’t looked into this at all because Covid-19 creates no fear for me.

“Inflammation” describes a complex set of related physiological responses. Diclofenac is a COX inhibitor.

1 Like

You keep harping on this “known safety profiles” BS while ignoring the fact that the SSRIs cause side effects for many and no SSRI has gone through a peer-reviewed study to establish its efficacy in fighting COVID.

1 Like

I can confirm this place is great.

However, three local pharmacies, not in Taipei, didn’t have anything and wouldn’t order them for me. They aren’t nearly as liberal as most Taipei pharmacies, but it’s possible the CDC has put them on alert not to give these things out.

Hopefully someone can get to Shanghai Pharmacy and see if that’s the case. I could make a trip to Taipei if need be, or perhaps order online from India.

1 Like

That’s the worry. I’ve been pretty busy lately, but I’ll try to make a trip over there if I have time.

I recall the recent video one if the guests said he has done combination studies with these two drugs. I don’t recall the details.

If they’re actively putting out press releases denying the scientific support for ivermectin, they’re almost certainly taking steps to prevent anybody from accessing it. The worst thing that can possibly happen, once you’ve declared that something is useless, is for people to prove for themselves that it isn’t.

I wonder what people with worms are supposed to do?

Maybe they’ll keep selling the pet version. You can just say your cat has worms.

Reminds me of a Friends episode in which Phoebe says that she’s has to take her granny to the vet.

1 Like

Or that one where Ross tries to cure his AIDS with horse tranquilizer.

Go to the vet and ask for it, it’s used in drugs for dogs. Ivermectine may be used in the treatment of mites (demodectic mange, scabies, and ear mites), intestinal parasites (hookworms, roundworms), and capillaria.

the vet pills are about three times as expensive, but that’s an option

Just ask for the generic capsules, made in Taiwan, not the chewables.

1 Like