Eight-point proposal on developing cross-Straits relations

In the China 2002 White Paper fas.org/nuke/guide/china/doc … f2002.html it was stated: “Taiwan is an inalienable part of China. The Chinese government will, in keeping with the basic principles of ‘peaceful reunification’ and ‘one country, two systems’ and the eight-point proposal on developing cross-Straits relations and advancing the process of peaceful national reunification at the present stage, strive for prospects of peaceful reunification with the utmost sincerity and the maximum effort.”

Can anyone provide an internet reference for the eight point proposal mentioned here? I have also seen it referred to as eight propositions.

I can’t seem to find the content of these eight items on the internet however.

Thanks in advance.

fas.org/news/china/2000/000222-prc-t1.htm refers to it. a lot of these articles refer to it, but never spells it out. typical.

it’s hidden in convoluted text somewhere in this article. My feeling is that Jiang spouted a bunch of sound bites and called it Eight Great Proposals. some people in China I spoke with seem to think this generally of Jiang. He tried to come up with some memorable phrases a la SYS or MZD or “Deng Xiaoping’s Six-Point Conception”, but ended up with hollow-sounding, meaningless words and speeches.
i’m being partly cynical, but these articles refer to these “Eight-Point Proposals” as if they’re the Ten Commandments, but in so abstracted that it’s farcical. how many of these guys could actually list them.

But here it is:

[quote]He put forth an eight-point proposal in accordance with the international and domestic situations, which has thus become a programmatic document with which the central authorities resolve the Taiwan problem in the future. The contents of the “Jiang Zemin’s Eight-Point Proposal” include:

1. Adherence to the principle of one China is the basis for the development of cross-strait relations;
  2. We do not challenge the development of non-governmental economic and cultural ties by Taiwan with other countries;
  3. we propose that talks be initiated on officially ending the state of hostility between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait under the principle of one China;
  4. Our not undertaking to give up the use of force is directed against the schemes of foreign forces to interfere with China’s reunification and to bring about the “independence of Taiwan”;
  5. efforts should be made to expand the economic exchanges and cooperation between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait and strive for the realization of the direct “three links” ;
  6. people on both sides of the Taiwan Strait should inherit and carry forward the fine traditions of the Chinese culture;
  7. the lifestyle of the Taiwan compatriots and their wish to be the masters of their destiny must be respected and their legitimate rights and interests be protected; and
  8. leaders of the Taiwan authorities are welcome to pay visits in appropriate capacities, and Jiang Zemin is also ready to accept invitations from the Taiwan side to visit Taiwan.[/quote]
    from
    phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de/ … 990130.htm

Thanks for the information . . . . . It is in a news article on the page you mention, entitled Taiwan-mainland unification moves: a history and an appeal

Thanks.

Click here to see the 8 points in Chinese.