Elderly Canadian parent as dependent?

Are there any Canadians out there who claim a parent on their taxes here in Taiwan? I am specifically wondering about the documents required from Canada to do this. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

A copy of their birth certificate and a proof of address/residence. Contact the tax office for more info, they are very helpful and have staff that are fluent in English.

I was wondering if one can claim parents-in-law as dependents in Canada?

My fiancee is currently working and weā€™re getting married soon. Can she claim my parents as dependents? My parents are retired while hers are working still in Taiwan (if anyone is thinking why not her own parents).

see this thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ā€¦ 8&start=10

i donā€™t think you can do it until you are married. then, you can file jointly, and can claim your parents (& grandparents).

[quote=ā€œcitizen kā€]A copy of their birth certificate and a proof of address/residence. Contact the tax office for more info, they are very helpful and have staff that are fluent in English.[/quote]You need proof that you are related to them as well - therefore I needed to get a long form of my birth certificate, not just the usual one I had with me. They also wanted my parentsā€™ ā€˜alive certificateā€™ - I got a notary public to write a note, notarized, of course, saying that they were still alive. A tax worker told me that a recent etter addressed to my parents would have been enough proof.

Gravedigging this thread after 14 years:

Iā€™ve just submitted my tax return using the online filing software and now it says I need to support the following documents for claiming my father and grandmother (both > 70 years):

A. Basic information (e.g. passport copy, residence permit copy, household registration certificate).
B. Proof of relationship (e.g. birth certificate, household registration certificate).
C. Proof of support (such as proof of remittance or notarized documents).
D. Proof of survival (notarized document, household registration certificate, or document sufficient to verify the fact of survival).
E. For those under 60 years of age, proof of inability to earn a living (public hospital certificate or document certified by the local government agency).

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

I definitely want to use this deduction if possible - but my support was primarily emotional and not in financial nature ( :whistle: ), so I am having some difficulty to think about what to submit as item C.

Has anyone been successful in claiming that deduction in a similar situation without proof of actual financial support?

1 Like

Yes, every year I get that deduction, but not online. When I go to the Danshui tax office, I donā€™t need to provide that proof of support, just the other documents. Other tax offices do reportedly vary.

And thank you, youā€™ve confirmed to me that I shall continue to file in person, not online!

3 Likes

based on this, you could also add some deductions for charitable donation. you donā€™t need to actually donate money, just support them emotionallyā€¦

It seems to be quite common among foreigners to take this deduction, though. And from what I have heard, almost no one actually supports them.

I know, I would save even more taxes if I followed the advice of some other posters around here and simply skip declaring my income all together as itā€™s all coming from overseas (even some tax professionals seem to recommend this strategy which also seem to be common among Taiwanese professionals working for Singapore-based companies, for example).

So I feel itā€™s more than fair that if I truthfully declare all my income that I also try to take advantage of all possible deductions etc.

I wonder what kind of evidence is required for Taiwanese citizens. If they need to provide some sort of evidence of actual support, then yeah, we probably should too - but if itā€™s simply a matter of ā€œElderly parentā€ and you automatically get the deduction, then I donā€™t think we should be required to show evidence either.

This must have been discussed somewhere in one of the tax threads.

1 Like

One big difference is that when claiming parents and grandparents, one also needs to declare all their Taiwan-sourced income, i.e. they wouldnā€™t be able to file taxes themselves anymore if they also live in Taiwan. In that sense, having parents or grandparents living overseas would actually be beneficial from a taxation point.

Probably somewhere. This was the only thread I found about this topic when using the search. I remember reading about this topic quite some times already, though.

1 Like

Relevant thread:

2 Likes