Electoral College Thread

Continuing the discussion from Funny Political Pictures II:

So you’re saying that the country needs to be protected from American voters?

No, I’m saying the country needs to be protected from the ways voters are being informed.

Well how would we do that? Genuinely curious. I don’t think you would agree to regulation of the media.

The Electoral College seems to be suppression if you ask me. The Chinese call their measures of suppression ‘Protection’ as well.

That’s difficult. Humans seem to like following trends. That’s likely why the pendulum effect is so prevalent. One way would be to get rid of human teachers and reporters. AI is already better at teaching in many subjects and it would probably be better at collecting and aggregating data and presenting it to humans eventually. That could take out a lot of the bias, but we’re a few decades from that probably.

An recent personal example is my niece. Her teacher has her convinced that the Amazon produces 20% of the world’s oxygen and she’s supposed to write a problem solution essay about deforestation. How can she do that when the source of her information is ill informed? AI wouldn’t make nearly as many of these kinds of mistakes.

Luckily, I have been reading Apocalypse Never, so I had a lot of data points for her to use. She didn’t like them though. :disappointed:

The Electoral College is affirmative action for deplorables.

It’s snot. The EC is the keep a semblance of power balanced among the States. Some States are rich and some not so rich, but all are equal under the law. Cutting out the EC would be creating a tiered system, based on income and population, not on the very American ideal of power sharing and checks and balances.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. Can you help elaborate more on what you mean by tiered system? Honest question.

1 Like

It’s good, right?

Give her quotes from the book, like the whole “lungs of the earth” thing which is ridiculous. Then make a meme of AOC saying, “Dur, the earth can’t have lungs, it’s a planet,” you know, just to see what happens. :wink:

Poorer and less populated States would have less power and say in choosing a POTUS, for one.

2 Likes

She told me they should make tree houses and read for entertainment. They’ll still need wood/charcoal for cooking though. Doesn’t seem well thought out. She’s only in fourth grade though. :joy:

The book is excellent, thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

I don’t think opponents of the EC consider state rights important to the matter at all. Land ≠ people.

Well, as the video I posted shows, direct pure democracies suffer from their own “success.” I think Plato wrote about that.

Plato rejected Athenian democracy on the basis that such democracies were anarchic societies without internal unity, that they followed citizens’ impulses rather than pursuing the common good, that democracies are unable to allow a sufficient number of their citizens to have their voices heard, and that such …

Sound familiar? All of this talk recently about “minority rule” and getting to “majority rule” is simply saying that direct popular vote is better than the EC bc one party thinks it has the votes to win the popular vote for many years out. I wouldn’t be so sure, but I’d rather not take the risk.

1 Like

The Electoral College is like giving the chicken two votes when he and the two foxes vote on what to have for dinner.

Well, if they burn enough wood, they’ll get rich enough to buy coal and then it’s off the to the races!

Or it’s like people voting for State electors who represents said party’s cast votes. It’s pretty simple. I think no cartoonies are necessary.

That’s because you’re smart. Trust me. There’s still a lot of confusion about the Electoral College out there.

You could argue that it’s not fair to give the chicken two votes because it’s not democratic but you could also argue that it’s not fair that the chicken would always end up on the dinner menu otherwise.

Fairness would actually result in the chicken being et.

But human civilization is an affront to natural fairness, isn’t it? We have an instinct to group together but not to work together toward common goals. We’re just the world’s worst houseguests. fucking laundry all over the place and toothpaste tube left on the sink with the cap off or like just fucking gone. :grimacing: :runaway:

The foxes conveniently forget that the chicken would never have consented to entering into a union with them unless he had a fighting chance.