Electric guitar as hand luggage

I want to take with me, in the cabin, an electric guitar in a soft bag on a plane to Europe this summer but I’m not sure about what companies will allow me to do it. China Airlines, China Southern, China etc… seem to give you some shit.

I heard that KLM doesn’t give you any troubles but they are more expensive.

The overall length of the instrument would be a bit less than 100cm, so inside the bag it could exceed the 100cm total length rule that some of these companies have.

Thoughts? suggestions?

It is always up to the crew. However, I’ve never had any issue even on very small planes.
Just ask the steward/ess when you step foot on the plane to put it where the coat hanger luggage closet is. It is usually right next to the front of the plane.
Don’t sweat it. Just be nice when you ask. They’ll say something like “We are not responsible for it getting damaged”, blah blah. Just say, you understand, blah blah.

What companies did you fly with? Some even tell you to buy a second seat O_o

dude, you are losing sleep over nothing.
If it’s a normal guitar, it is fine. I don’t have to state all the airlines, because they’ve all done them. both small planes and big ones.

I’ve never brought a guitar, but I assume it’s in the same boat as tennis rackets or golf clubs as carry on. When I used to fly EVA I bump into some people that have (brought tennis bags/golf clubs). Cabin crew normally ask upon boarding whether you want to stow it in the coat compartment.

Years ago I did have to put it in the cargo. And last Christmas I was told to have to do the same. So it’s not like I don’t have reasons for “worrying” about this.

Well, that sounds good. EVA… haven’t seen them among the flights I can take, not in the first page of results.

If it has a removable neck you can try that too

Nope, it has a set-in, glued neck that I glued myself. I “made” that guitar years ago, and I’ve decided to provide her a safer, dryer environment to grow old but not mushrooms.

1 Like

I’ve always found that electric guitars and mushrooms go together well.

1 Like

That’s very hippy of you.

One of the first things I did when I got back after two months was clean the mold off my guitar. Sucks.

I’d love to see a picture of said guitar.

P_20180304_200246

_DSC1766

_DSC1771

Washburn P1 (or P something) body, Honduras mahogany, from the custom shop. Some scratch in the back. Cheapo flying V mapple neck. Seymour Duncan picks, in and jazz whatever. Planet waves tuners.

It needs a fret dress and other adjustments, some day…

1 Like

Aaand I can’t really play guitar, shame on me. All these I just used it for making noise.

Anyway, are Air China, China Airlines, Souther China, Easter China, China whatever companies safe bet for taking the guitar with me on board?

Fixed that for you.

1 Like

I tried to, but I think that if I had sex with them was only because they thought that was much better than to listen to me playing hahaha.

1 Like

That’s a beauty. I can barely play guitar but that hasn’t stopped me from assembling a few.

Feel free to post pictures if you want.

Still want to know about the freakin’ airlines…