Electric hot water heater not working - any ideas?

Of course.

Can’t wash your clothes properly without hot water.

1 Like

If you have those front loading washer, they have their own heater to heat the water.

And they will add at least 1000nt dollars a month to your power bill if you wash clothes often.

If you are washing with hot water, get a front loader. A top loader has like 20 gallons of water in it, which requires a lot of energy to heat. A front loader uses like much less than this. Less water in the wash means less water to heat.

I do have a front loader. When I wash exclusively with hot water, my power bill is 1 to 2000 more per month. I just wash with cold water now per the wife’s orders.

How often do you wash? I wash and dry, all on hot and it does not increase my power bill much. I wash once a week.

I wash almost every day.

1 Like

The Sakura ones are great. I have one downstairs, and it is solid dependable hot water. I have a cheap tgas one upstairs that I replaced with the same one 7k because it was rusted out and quite dangerous, and I’ve learned how to turn it off and on to eventually get a hot shower.

Follow-up a couple of months later: we just got our first power bill with the new water heater (well, the billing period started March 17, so a week before we got the new heater). The bill isn’t quite halved, but definitely lower! $2374 this year; $3890 last year same period; $4068 year before that; $3518 the year before that. So, yes, the new heater does seem to be saving us money on the bills.

Caveat: as the weather thread attests, we probably haven’t had the air conditioning on as much as usual for May.

2 Likes

Just make sure the new heater is still heating the water over 60°C regularly to kill all the legionella. Reducing the water temperature permanently might save some money, but a legionella infection is not fun!

1 Like

As far as I know there was no reduction in water temperature; I certainly haven’t noticed that. The reduced power consumption should be mainly a matter of a better-insulated machine.

1 Like