Electric kick scooters and traffic laws

I’m thinking of buying Ninebot G30 to go to classes and to office faster. What are the traffic laws saying about vehicles like this? Will I be able to ride it to work on sidewalks and such?

I see lots of foreign laborers use them, maybe because they somehow can’t get a scooter license. Helmet laws still apply and you can’t drive on sidewalks.

They also can’t really go faster than something like 25kph but there are supposedly secret buttons to make it go faster (they can’t go faster than certain speeds or else they’re considered a real scooter requiring a license).

scooter license

Scooter is a bit overkill for my purposes right now

secret buttons

No, but I think it’s possible to install custom firmware that will allow to go at 30ish kph, but that’s still too slow to drive on roads without being a danger to everyone, I think.

In Taipei they can only be driven on the sidewalk and must be limited to 25kmph.

Everywhere else that rule hasn’t been brought in yet.

Mine goes 50kmph but I live in Kaohsiung, I used to take it to Taipei but not anymore :weary:

I had one in the MRT whizzing like at 30 km/h, had to jump out of his way.

Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs are required not to exceed a speed limit of 6 kilometers per hour while on the sidewalk, or face a fine of NT$300

That will show them!

What ever, nothing is enforced anyway.

3 Likes

Technically only allowed to ride E-Scooters on the riverside. But I commute with mine to work also. Depends on the police if he wants to pull you over.
If I see a cop I generally step off and walk it until Im 50meters past him. I have a Xiaomi 365 Pro and a Zero 10.

I was looking at these but no way I wanted to carry that up 5 floors each time I wanted to use it :rofl:

In the end I went with a Speedway ledger.

Was a good compromise between speed and weight. Originally was going for the mini 5 pro (which is about 2kg lighter) but the comfort of the leger won me over.

So what you’re saying is that it’s not really allowed, but most of the time nobody cares enough to do anything about it?

pretty much, just like most other traffic infractions the police dont do anything. Sometimes I ride by a police and we pretend we dont see each other.

Two questions for @deiskos , based on your profile:

Are these contraptions allowed on the NCTU campus (I suppose now called the National Yang Ming Chiao Tung campus)?

Would you dare ride these things on Kuang Fu Road?

If yes and yes, go for it. But in both cases watch out!

Guy

Where’d you get these?

Minimotors have a dealership in Zhongli and I got my Xoaomi from Shopee.

1 Like