Electric voltage - yes, the 220V issue again

Oh… I was blissfully unaware that the majority of stoves will be with gas :monkey_face: Thanks for the heads-up!

That’s pretty much what happens.

I had bought soldering irons on ebay. Says it’s 110 but when I plug it in it wouldn’t get hot enough at all. Turns out it was a 220v soldering iron.

In the worst case it can draw enough to make your wiring hot (depending on the wires diameter and age/fabrication etc). If you have good fuses and wires it should be ok.
Many cables in Taiwan I encountered have a surface of 0.75mm² whereas I.e.germany most commonly used 1,5mm².

1 Like

Interesting. So how much power is Taiwanese wiring designed for?

I think in Germany, a normal socket / fuse is designed for 16A * 230V = 3680W continuous power. If Taiwan only has 110V and smaller cables - how much power can a normal socket supply?

1 Like

that’s creepy. How’d you find out? It was advertised as 110v and the packaging/tags/marking all said 110v…?

110v is supposed to be 15 amps but in Taiwan it could be 100 amps (the breaker that is, not the wiring).

2mm cross section is the most commonly used wires, either that or 1.25mm cross section (not area, but diameter).

It was advertised as 110v. I ended up getting partial refunds from ebay because it’s not worth sending it back to China from the US. Only way I found out it wasn’t 220 was that it did not get hot enough to do the job. That’s what happens when to plug a 220v appliance to 110. On airplanes the electrical outlet is always 110v for this reason. You can’t start a fire plugging a 220v appliance in. The worst is that it simply would not work as well.

Yes, that’s a recipe for disaster. Cable that is half as thick has 1/4 the current carrying capacity. Voltage at 110 needs twice the current that it does at 220V for the same power (say it’s 600W for a washing machine), so you’re a total of 8 times worse off.

2 Likes

The problem one can encounter in Taiwan is the 50/60hz thing when using electric/electronic devices when they are only specified for 50hz like in Europe.

Makes your records play faster, eh?

2 Likes