Electricity Bill Question

I live on a campus where I pay my own electricity. However, our wiring is connected to our neighbors but we supposedly have separate meters. The school gets one bill and then splits it proportionally based on the two meters. So, if the total bill is 15000NT and our meter indicates we used 60% of the total then we pay 9000NT. I know this is a little complicated. I’m okay with this part of things.

Here’s the part that kind of bugs me. My understanding is that in Taiwan you pay more the more you use. So our first 220 units are charged at 2.10 NT but our last units are charged as high as 5.10NT. Obviously, since we’re splitting the bill I think this must increase our bill rather a lot.

Has anyone else had trouble with an electrical bill? Do I have any options on this? Is it worth it to go to a Taipower office and ask the person there? Should I ask to meet them the next time they come to look at the meter (and how would I do this?). I really don’t love living on a campus because there are a lot of these types of issues (like I’d rather not have to keep a land line, but am required to).

Since your wiring is connected to that of your neighbors, the only real way to separate them would involve some rewiring. It’s extremely unlikely that Tai-Power would do that for you … or that the school would allow this in the first place.

I hope you were just making up a number for your NT$9,000 electricity bill, because that’s about ten times what I might expect for what I’m guessing is basically just a single room.

Largest bill I ever paid was NT$6000 for a whole 30 ping apartment, for July-August soon after the jacked up the heavy usage rates.

I should have said I teach at the school, so it’s a reasonably large apartment (two bedrooms, biggish living area) and we have kids and are in it using air con a fair amount. It may really be what we should be paying, but I wouldn’t mind if there was a way to reduce the bill. Bill is usually 6000-9000.

How do the heavy usage rates work? This is part of what I am wondering.

I paid close to 4000 for a 6 ping taufan because of billing schemes like this.

The landlord wired one meter to 2 flats which are full of taufan, and with everyone using AC and whatnot the total bill is something like 20,000, which obviously includes the usual markup due to high usage. As a result I ended up paying something like 4nt per kWh, which totaled to about 3600 nt for 2 months (with about 800 kWh used due to AC usage).

I’d get out of apartments like that if I were you… they can get you paying an unreasonably high utility fee on that.

Is there any possibility to have Taipower look at the internal meter that the landlord wired up (so he can track everyone’s electricity usage) and bill accordingly? They really don’t take into account the fact that a lot of people are wired like this so that they actually pay 50% more than everyone else for the same electrical usage.

Now with all the talks of shutting down nuclear power plants all over the world (which according to Taipower has a cost of about .6 nt per kWh) be ready to pay over 5 nt per kWh minimum in the future!

Thank you, stupid German Fuerherin and your knee jerk reaction…

The heavy usage rates are visible in the rates chart for non-commercial users at the Taipower website:
taipower.com.tw/TaipowerWeb/ … edules.pdf

If your usage is being calculated together with another user, then clearly this could be inflating your costs. I would talk to the school and TaiPower about it if I were you, as the costs involved are not insignificant.

For one month, or two? Are these old, inefficient AC units supplied with the apartment? In addition to the above, I’d be looking for a way to reduce those bills, like not setting the temp so low, improving insulation, and adding fans for cooling, turning the AC off in the early morning when it’s cooler outside and turning a fan on instead, as well as talking to the school about replacing the units with efficient ones. Also take other steps to save electricity, like more efficient appliances and light bulbs, turning off lights, using LED nightlights instead of larger bulbs, etc.

Most Taiwanese apartments are already very energy efficient when it comes to lighting. Almost no one uses incandescent light bulbs anymore, except for really old fashioned people.

I would get a wall mounted unit, preferably with DC inverters, as wall units seems to be way more efficient than window units, plus you can seal up your apartment better with those.

If it was a desert environment (high temperature but low humidity) I would say skip AC completely and use a swamp cooler (a fan with water mister in front of it) but since Taiwan has very high humidity…

A better address for your thanks would be the “Tokyo Power Company”, whose reckless planning, problem cover-ups, and cosy relationship with agencies charged with oversight of the nuclear industry have brought disrepute on the whole industry. Although, on second thought, you may as well thank nobody, because problems of this sort were to show up sooner or later - humans don’t have the wherewithal to manage the risks of nuclear power.

And anyway, i think we (industry users and privat eusers) should pay much more for power (and water), so that we can stop supporting the power industry with tax money and learn to use energy prudently.

:slight_smile:

[quote=“taipeijon”]I live on a campus where I pay my own electricity. However, our wiring is connected to our neighbors but we supposedly have separate meters. The school gets one bill and then splits it proportionally based on the two meters. So, if the total bill is 15000NT and our meter indicates we used 60% of the total then we pay 9000NT. I know this is a little complicated. I’m okay with this part of things.

Here’s the part that kind of bugs me. My understanding is that in Taiwan you pay more the more you use. So our first 220 units are charged at 2.10 NT but our last units are charged as high as 5.10NT. Obviously, since we’re splitting the bill I think this must increase our bill rather a lot.

Has anyone else had trouble with an electrical bill? Do I have any options on this? Is it worth it to go to a Taipower office and ask the person there? Should I ask to meet them the next time they come to look at the meter (and how would I do this?). I really don’t love living on a campus because there are a lot of these types of issues (like I’d rather not have to keep a land line, but am required to).[/quote]

I think you can split the bill. You really have to call their toll free number and ask about this.

Toll free service numbers:

‧0800-231213(Customer Right and Request Hotline)

‧0800-031212(Customer Service Hotline)

‧0800-291070(First Nuclear Power Plant)

‧0800-306029(Second Nuclear Power Plant)

‧0800-889001(Third Nuclear Power Plant)

AFAIK based on the HOA community where I am currently living, splitting the bill do cut down on the unit charge.

Good luck.

[quote=“yuli”]problems of this sort were to show up sooner or later - humans don’t have the wherewithal to manage the risks of nuclear power.

:slight_smile:[/quote]
You’re absolutely right, we should all go back to living in caves. You first.