Electricity bills - am I being ripped off?

Doesn’t sound outrageous to me. I would prefer to get my own bills and question the providers accordingly. I really doubt anyone will lower your bills because you think you are getting ripped off. Stand up as an adult. Get your own services and challenge the bill if it is unreasonable. JMHO

MAMA!

If your apartment is totally new, then it’s proper to pay high rate to compensate meter installation charge initially. But if your apartment is, say, more than 3 years, then the high rate is not supposed to be imposed on you.

In Taiwan’s Civil Law 民法 /min2 fa3/ there is regulation on “improper gains 不當得利 /bu2 dang4 de2 li4/.” If the rate is apparently too high, you should re-negotiate based on that regulation.

And, if you find your landlord taps power from your meter, he’s committed a crime. He got big trouble. Save the evidence (maybe making video that sees the meter running while you turn off all your appliances). Call your friends or an electrician (witnesses) to make sure again.

Thanks a lot for all your comments, I really appreciate the input. I’m going to first discuss this rate with my landlord and see if he’ll be reasonable and then see what other recourse. The apartment is definitely more than three years old, but my apartment is the only thing on the meter, that’s for sure…I did turn everything off and it stopped dead. The apartment has many apartments and the landlords family lives on the first floor, I don’t think there are any other foreigners in the building so I’m curious as to what other people are paying. I’m going to try to ask someone, see if they speak english. Maybe I’ll threaten the landlord with this clause about unfair gains…Anyway, thanks again!!

[quote=“chinamac79”]Just arrived in Taipei, and signed up for six months in a flat in Xinpu. I have agreed to pay 2000NT a month for bills (water, maintenance fee, broadband, cable) and a further 5nt per unit for electricity.

Not knowing how much things cost here, I agreed to these terms. But I’m thinking about renegotiating, as it seems pretty expensive. I like the apartment, and the area. So I might offer to sign a year’s contract, on the condition that the costs are looked at again.

Am I being ripped off by my landlord?[/quote]

Around Xinpu, $2000(not including gas, unless you use a gas tank) is not bad. In central Taipei city, just electricity can run up to $3000NT (depending on usage).
I’ve been through this part, and according to many landlords, if they have more than one unit for rent (that means more than one occupant), electric use can be alot, especially for landlords with 5-7 or even more occupants/rooms in use.
If the landlords get charged $5 from Taipower, trust me, they will pass this charge onto the tennants. :astonished:
Here is Tai-power’s charge info:

1. Non-business (including residential): Summer months(6/1-9/30): upto 110, $2.10; upto 330, $3.02; upto 500, $4.05; upto 700, $4.51; 701 or more, $5.10.
    Non-summer months: upto 110, $2.10; upto 330, $2.68; upto 500, $3.27; upto 700, $3.55; 701 or more, $3.97.
    1.表燈非營業(一般住宅用電):夏月(6月1日~9月30日)110度以下部分每度2.10元,111度至330度部分每度3.02元,331度至500度部分每度4.05元,501度至700度部分每度4.51元,701度以上部分每度5.10元;非夏月(夏月以外之時間)110度以下部分每度2.10元,111度至330部分每度2.68元,331度至500度部分每度3.27元,501度至700度部分每度3.55元,701度以上部分每度3.97元。以上是每月單價,用戶因實施隔月抄表、收費,其計費之分段度數概加倍計算。

2. [Business use] 表燈營業(小商店):夏月每月330度以下部分每度3.76元,331度至500度部分每度4.05元,501度至700度部分每度4.51元,701度以上部分每度5.10元;非夏月每月330度以下部分每度3.02元,331度至500度部分每度3.27元,501度至700度部分每度3.55元,701度以上部分每度3.97元。以上是每月單價,用戶因實施隔月抄表、收費,其計費之分段度數概加倍計算。

taipower.com.tw/left_bar/QnA … l_idea.htm

hi guys I am moving out of this apt. I was wondering can I pay the electricity the day I am moving out since landlord is holding some of the deposit for electricity and water bill? so can I do it? how about water bill also? so I won’t have my deposit got hold by the landlord. or is there any other suggestions? thanks guys

Yes, you can. (I’m assuming here that you have an official meter that is read regularly by Tai-Dian, not a supplemental meter for an apartment that a landlord has split up.)

You’ll need to go to a Tai-Power office. (The power company won’t send someone out to accommodate your schedule). Thus, beforehand you’ll need to read your electricity meter yourself. It’s probably best to take a photo of it, so someone at Tai-Dian can double check your reading for you. And you should also take an old power bill, so they’ll be able to look up your record more easily.

I don’t know about the water bill. But usually those are low and don’t fluctuate much. I advise showing your landlord copies of some of your old water bills and offering to pay him/her a pro-rated equivalent for the time you’ve been there since your previous bill.