Elementary school rape case chills nation

If not only the girl in question but the other children involved, such as the ten year old girls that watched or the ten year old boy who did the raping, had recieved better education, then yes I think there is a possibility the day might have been not only saved, but possibly, prevented altogether. I wonder what better ideas anybody has, lynching ten year old boys maybe? Don’t ask TC, he is such a degenerate he’ll probably say yes.

Funny, I wonder if she had had sex ed, would the response been that the rape was some how still her fault and provoked because she ‘knew’ about it from prior exposure to such education?

Then I question why does the parental status have to do with anything? This is what kills me about Taiwan. It’s that superstitious mentality coming into play in another form.

Single, must be damaged in some manner
Single parent, kids won’t grow up to be squat.
Have a disability, stay home and hidden
Kid has ADD put him/her into all English class to prove otherwise

:unamused:

Taiwan government should really think highly of this not “three pigs”.

bob,

One of my biggest complaints about the Taiwanese school system is the frequent lack of teacher or other adult supervision.

I am always amazed at how often elementary school kids here are left unsupervised by an adult or teacher.

Sure, there is obviously other stuff that is horribly wrong when ten year olds are involved in repeated rapes of a classmate… and those things need to be addressed also…

But, IMO, the easiest way to prevent a whole lot of nasty behavior is to have adult supervision in the schools.

Seems simple… :idunno:

And quite likely correct too, but while the adult’s were there it would make sense to teach the kids a bit about respect and such too I would think.

I get testy during these discussions because the first thing that happens when something nasty like this happens is that the Neanderthals come looking out for blood not realizing that this is exactly the same set of emotions: hatred, anger, a desire for retribution that lay behind the original offence.This week this bunch will be crying for punishment of a ten year old boy and next they’ll be punching out somebodies grandmother for stealing their parking space at K-Mart. Just watch.

Bob, it isn’t a matter of education. Many women do not report sexual assaults because they are embarrassed and know they, as the victim, will be blamed for it.
I wholly agree that there should be more supervision to keep things like this from happening.

And correcting that sad state of affairs is a matter of… we guessed it boys and girls, education!

Sure but the supervisors can’t be there all the time. If they want the kids behaving reasonably while the adults are away then certain values will need to be instilled. That is the point of the original comment made by the Taiwanese policeman in the article above. But of course everything Taiwanese say is wrong so people here angrily pounced on it like he was preaching satan worship or something.

I have nothing against satan worship.

[quote=“bob”]

It is obvious she needs better sex education because she didn’t report it. See how that works? I highlighted the important part, but in case you still don’t get it I think what they meant was that “If she was better educated she would have known enough to report the incident.”[/quote]

Uh…Bob…WHO needs the sexual education now? Might want to consider a class or two.

Matt

I don’t really think that rape falls under SEX education. Rape isn’t about sex.
Maybe they need better criminology education.

The boys should be punished by having to watch the Vagina Monologues once a week for the rest of their lives.

:laughing: That’s a punishment worse than the death penalty.

Amazing. You have to be educated in some way to recognise that being gang raped is somehow bad and needs to be reported???

What colour is the sky on your planet?

[quote]The girl reportedly told police that as she was being raped by a 10-year-old schoolmate surnamed Chen and a 13-year-old junior high school student surnamed Huang several of her friends stood by without acting, even though the girl screamed for help.

“I cried for help but no one saved me and they (the bystanders) acted like they didn’t know me. I feel so sad,” she is quoted as saying.

Bystanders allegedly cheered the boys on, encouraging Chen or Huang to rape the girl, and even taught the two boys how to do it, police reportedly said.

The reports also cite police as saying the girl was dragged forcibly into the restroom after playing basketball with the students. [/quote]

Tom thinks about these points…

From the above it doesn’t sound like a lack of education is the problem here for all of these students. It sounds more like a rather nasty ‘Lord of the Flies’ type event. Kids were teaching kids how to molest? That’s full on. Is the school failing these kids? Or are there nasty elements within the student body?

As to the little girl. Well, firstly that her younger brother could take charge of the situation indicates a number of things. The brother is presumably brought up in the same environment as the girl, so it’s not the fault of the environment. The brother is younger so must have had less education, so it’s not a lack of her education. It also seems to indicate that the girl must have had a reason to hide or supress the incidents. She indicated that her friends watch the incidents. Thats poor. What else should she have done?

I think there are probably a million facts about this case that we don’t know. I think she would likely have tried to hide the incident, because of how horrible it was. My fear for her will be doubts over the rehabilitation facilities and care that Taiwan can provide for her. For the boys, borstal/ young offenders, call it what you will, coupled with psychological help. The rest closely involved should be broken up and sent to other schools.

[quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”][quote=“bob”]

It is obvious she needs better sex education because she didn’t report it. See how that works? I highlighted the important part, but in case you still don’t get it I think what they meant was that “If she was better educated she would have known enough to report the incident.”[/quote]

Uh…Bob…WHO needs the sexual education now? Might want to consider a class or two.

Matt[/quote]

Sexual education? Sounds kinky. I don’t think it is what is required here though. I think what is required is “sex” education, for the girl who was raped, the “boys” who did the raping, the other kids who watched, the kids who heard about this and said nothing, the kids who are on the verge of something just as bad given half a chance, and for the yahoos here who seem to imagine that there is a speck of a chance that the “rapists” involved here were not products of sick environments themselves. Sex education for everyone would be good perhaps. For the amphetimine crazed teen hookers in Zhuhai, for me, for you, your mom maybe… who knows? A sex education is perhaps a little different from an education in mathamatics or chemistry, for example, in that a sex education would be more focused on feelings, values and respect, that sort of thing. I realize these are difficult concepts but given a bit of focus shouldn’t be too much of a strain over the long term I don’t imagine.

Apparently. Didn’t you read the article? The girl went back to playing with the rapists.

Again, apparently.

Gee…

That’s pretty keen sleuthing there Tom ol boy. Not great logic though. Here’s why…

The argument was made that obviously the girl had not recieved adequate sex education because she failed to report this incident. I think most of us extrapolated from that to the rest of the student body who also didn’t report the incident. Likely they didn’t recieve a good sex education either. See how that works? The younger brother went on to report the incident despite his lower level of education thus going some way to demonstrating that the education system is flawed. Think of it this way, if the education system was better the girl herself or some other witness to the event would have reported it. Or do we imagine doing a better job of teaching kids that it is OK to talk about things would have no impact on student behaviour in a situation like this? Do we imagine that all of the children who saw or heard about this, probably every kid in the school, would have been intimidated into silence irregardless?

Sex education. Huh? This is rape. Rape has nothing to do with sex. Rape is about violence and power.

Better education that teaches that you can’t force someone to do something they don’t want to, or at the very least, when to stop, would help. But this should be common sense, and should be something instilled by the parents from the word go. A child should know, before they start school, that the use of violence, in any form, against others is wrong.

Some parental education is also called for, but in the land of non-helmet wearing, scooter children, that’s probably never going to happen.

Supervision of kids at school is a noble sentiment, but I remember being at school and finding lots of places away from teacher supervision - and I was one of the good kids, who didn’t cause trouble. Unless you use CC cameras, you can’t supervise all of them.

Apparently. Didn’t you read the article? The girl went back to playing with the rapists.[/quote]

Not necessarily a result of a “lack of education”. Many bullied kids end up reconciled with their tormentors after having been beaten up by them - the pecking orders having been sorted out, if you like. Your analysis on the other hand may well be correct if this was not a violent rape against her will but some sort of a game in which she was a willing participant. That happens too. Do we know for a fact that the latter (voluntary) scenario is the one we are talking about?

So goes the tired refrain…

Meanwhile, back in the real world, a ten year old squeezes his weiner into some little girls body and his friends google “sex” for instructions on how it’s done.