Elephant ears / funnel cake

40160150-fried-dough-funnel-cake-or-elephant-ear-sold-at-north-carolina-state-fair-street-food-snack-salt-fri
I swear if someone says at your local fair in the US I’m gonna smack you into Wednesday. :slight_smile:

You already said what I was thinking. :stuck_out_tongue:

Following this thread. A couple of these would go great with the batch of HSE rum I accidentally acquired recently.

Is that some kind of pasta with icing sugar on top??

I mean, I eat out of dumpsters and that just makes me want to heave…

3 Likes

Pastry with powdered sugar which is popular at carnivals/fairs in the US.

These things are widely available from street vendors:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=Lat0XK_4L6KvmAXdvq_gCg&q=chinesr+donut+picturrs&oq=&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.0.41l5.0.0..7151...0.0..0.0.0…0…5.XkYwugUboaU#imgrc=uwKEtjaJ0XjZRM:

Are they similar to what you’re after?

“chinesr donut picturrs”

:rofl:

My dad’s response to me laughing would be “fff” for “fat fingers”. I’m sure you can guess what the third “f” is for. He’s a software engineer, he speaks in acronyms.

I’ll take that as a no, then.

I don’t use predictive text. I like a challenge.

I just thought it was funny when I clicked on the link and saw what was typed in the search. I can’t answer for the OP whether or not that’s what he/she/it/they is/are looking for.

Sorry, I thought you were thr OP.

Yeah I just used the Chinese doughnut sticks to describe them to a colleague. It’s pretty close. Now I guess it’s a matter of the right size and shape of the dough.

I hate it when they call youtiao “Chinese donuts”, it’s a bullshit designation, donuts are sweet, youtiao are savoury, and the consistency is completely different anyways.

2 Likes

Weird, I’m eating one of these right now and was just thinking about how undonutlike they are and how stupid it is to refer to them as such…

Spies…

Are they savoury? I must try one some time.

Yep. They are crispy, salty, airy…sticks of oil, exactly as their name suggests.

Gets to be just a bit icky feeling after you’ve had about half a stick, though. I guess in that way they’re similar to donuts; I can’t manage more than a few bites of either before I have to put it down and get a long drink of water.

Ya. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten an entire one, they’re pretty lardy.

I’ve been off youtiao since reading this, and think it’s possibly more the standard than the exception.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2016/07/11/2003650813

Oh yeah, I remember that. If I hadn’t already disliked them…

Best youtiao I’ve had was in Singapore last year. They weren’t very oily. The ones here, on the few occasions I’ve had them, I dip them in some soy milk (豆漿).

Costco sells sweet ones in their F&B outlet. I think the English name is churros.