Elevators

Ok, rant alert.:fume:

WTF is it with elevators around here? People seem to have a great deal of trouble with them. Here’s my rant:

:fume: 1. 10 seconds is too much work. If I want to go 1 floor up or down (or even 2 for that matter) I find it better for me and the environment to take the stairs. Problem in TW is, the stairs are so goddam hard to find or if you do find them they are locked or alarmed. Now I semi understand why people here will wait 3 minutes for the elevator to come down from the 97th floor to take them up to floor 2.

:fume: 2. Up is up, down is down. How hard is it?A couple of times I have come out of our apartment to use the elevator to find my neighbor standing there waiting to use it. Button already pushed. The UP button! Now, this is interesting I think to myself. So we get in, he pushes “1”. WTF? of course the doors close, then open again, then close. Mr. Neighbor mutters some sort of confused grunt as to why this would happen.
Next time we run into each other, I’m a bit earlier, just in time to see Mr Neighbor look up at the floor indicator, and THEN press the button.
I figured out he honestly thinks he is ‘calling’ the elevator to his floor depending on where it is, and which button he press. It complex business this elevator stuff, which is compounded by his absolute unwillingness to try to listen to me that maybe, just maybe, he’s getting it wrong.

:fume: 3. Random brain fart button pressing Now and then some idiot gets in the elevator, pushes a button (usually) mid journey, and then steps off at a completely different floor.
To add a real annoyance factor, they might press 2 or maybe 3 floors before stepping off at none of them.

:fume: 4. Kids As above but kids can be semi-excused. They are doing it for fun. But why oh why do the parents stand there letting there kids press every goddam button. Usually, they step of early, leaving everyone else to enjoy a free 5 second tour of every floor lobby…

:fume: 5. We’re using this elevator in 8 mins. So we’ll hold it thanks. This one is a really annoying one. I liken it to those food courts you see when there is nowhere to sit because the place is filled with bags and umbrellas for those people needing to sit down in the next half hour :unamused:
I can hear the people 3 floors up waiting in the elevator, holding the door open, and chit chatting with their neighbor. Hurry the f*ck up will ya?

:fume: 6. Rubbish chutes? are you crazy? Oh the joy of stepping into the elevator and into a pool of cess that has dripped out of a 2 week old rubbish bag containing fish. yummy.

:fume: 7. Waiguoren? Oh it’s ok, we will wait for the next one There is no way we could possibly travel up in that small steel box with a white man :astonished: …are you nuts?

Today at lunch I manged to get a classic combination: 4 elevators in the lobby(yep FOUR), I get in one from level 1. Girl screams from 30 m away at me to wait and runs over to push the button. She is with 4-5 others with LOTS of luggage. So she’s standing there holding the door while the rest shuffle over.
Everyone eventually tediously gets in, and the only button pushed is the one I pushed, level 3. One party from the group presses B2, another guy presses 1 (yes the floor we just left) and everyone mumbles horror when we arrive at 3. I guessed they probably wanted level 2 as 3 is a staff floor, and 99.9% of the time people get off at floor 2. Of course, I pissed them off by wanted to GET OFF at 3 before they could quickly shut the doors on me.
Sigh, hence the rant.

/rant. :fume:

Is an elevator like a lift?

yeah. Sometimes called Schindler.

Schindler’s Lift.

I wonder if Schindler had a lisp?

Truant,
You forgot:

:fume: 8. Using the mirrors to pop pimples, preen, and pose.

:fume: 9. Getting in before letting people out of the elevator.

:fume: 10. Recoiling back in complete horror upon seeing a waiguoren when doing No. 9.

Here’s another. Well, it’s connected to one of your moans.

You’re in the lift. You’re in a hurry. Just as the doors are closing, someone presses the button and gets in. You wait for the doors to close. Finally they do, but just as they’re 0.00001 mm apart, they open again cos someone just pressed the button in time… ad infinitum.

And here’s another. Your lift fills up. One or more people don’t fit in, so they wait. Your doors are closing, then they open again “Solly!” the person has been a bit too eager to call the next lift. Doors close, but just as they’re 0.00001 mm apart, they open again cos someone just pressed the button prematurely again… ad infinitum.

Yes. Elevator is a noun. Lift is a verb.

I freaking hate the elevators at Shida. 97 people waiting to get into one elevator that comes maybe in the next 5 minutes, the stairs nearby inaccessable, every elevator that does come is full…madness

One thing I do like about the elevators here is that little cartoon with the yelling fat policeman and the yelling guy, followed by the three people happily sitting on the floor smoking a joint, followed by the woman on her hands and knees in the elevator and falling down the shaft in the same frame, and the last frame that I can’t remember. I really want that for my avatar. It cracks me up every time. :smiley:

Sign in elevator:

otis.com/aboutotis/elevators … %2C00.html

That lift looks like it’s made of carbon fibre.

Yeah…that elevator does look like it’s made out of carbon fiber…but it’s not. Polished steel as I recall.

:wink:

otis.com/aboutotis/elevators … %2C00.html[/quote]

Thanks for the link, Doctor Evoil. Yeah, they sound just like lifts. Cheers. :wink:

Aiyaaaa, none of you understand Taiwanese culture!

I am “guilty” of many of the above, guess I have been hanging around too long already?

otis.com/aboutotis/elevators … %2C00.html[/quote]

Thanks for the link, Doctor Evoil. Yeah, they sound just like lifts. Cheers. :wink:[/quote]

Yes, those devices are very lift like. Thanks Doc.

A lot of people think that the elevator comes faster when you push the Up and Down button at the same time to call the elevator. The only result is that you have to wait until the door closes and opens again for the elevator to change direction!

Of course it comes faster.

By opening and closing, the bad chi is expelled and thus the elevator is much healthier to ride in. Everyone knows this.

I certainly come a lot faster when all my buttons are being pushed.

HG

HG[/quote]
you gotta push hard too. Bang preferably.

HG[/quote]
you gotta push hard too. Bang preferably.[/quote]

How’d you know that? :blush:

HG

I press the close button when I get in.

I get funny looks sometimes when I do it outside of Taiwan.

[quote=“lupillus”]I press the close button when I get in.

I get funny looks sometimes when I do it outside of Taiwan.[/quote]

The lift doors in other countries (Australia for sure) close quicker. Australian ones hardly let you in before wanting to close. Taiwans lifts seem to be organised for non lift savy people to enter and not be scared. Maybe this was the original intention before they got the hang of electricity.

My pet gripe is the standing on the electric walkways. Why? Life is too short to stand there.