Eligibility for NWHOR passport if my mother is Taiwanese NWHOR

Hi all,

I’m currently holding a Philippine passport while my mother is a Taiwanese (NWHOR) born in 1969. She never had an HHR in Taiwan, no dual citizenship and just an alien card despite living in the Philippines all throughout. I was wondering if I am able to still apply for the same passport as her?

The requirements are written here: https://www.roc-taiwan.org/ph_en/post/81.html, however, I am not exactly sure because when I asked the TECO Manila months back, they neither agreed nor disagreed.

The importance for me is mostly keeping the heritage, making my Chinese name legal, and possibly settling in Taiwan after my studies in Europe.

Thank you :pray:

Yes you should be able to get a NWHOR passport and if you decide to go to Taiwan later, a TARC.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, you should be eligible for the NWOHR passport, but maybe not TARC (at least under some of the categories for application). This thread might be similar to your case: My mother is NWHOR with supporting documents but her application TARC AF384 was refused by NIA - #5 by Hayashi

If you just want the passport and Chinese name done for heritage purposes, completing the passport part would be enough for that.

TARC would make settling in Taiwan easier, but there are other options for that.

The best thing to do is probably email the NIA in Taiwan with as many specific details as possible.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Got it! Thank you so much for the information!

1 Like

Hello! I realize it’s been a while since this topic was last discussed but I was curious if @kairibear had been successful in getting the NWHOR passport? I’m in a similar boat. Thanks!

1 Like

The taipei embassy did confirm it was possible but i had to correct an error in my birth certificate through court, and request all authenticated documents from PSA all over again. :smiling_face_with_tear: so i am still waiting for my corrected birth certificate

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Although annoying having to request new documents and have them authenticated :frowning: I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly.

May I ask, did your mother ever have a Taiwanese NWHOR passport? Or are you just applying using your grandparents’ documents? Thank you.