Eligibility for NWOHR passport+TARC if no active household registration at time of birth

Returning to the fundamental issue of my case – the status of my father’s HHR at the time of my birth. There may be a problem.

I’m not sure about this anymore.

The key question is whether or not the status of the HHR, at the time of birth of the descendant, is important.

The optimistic line of reasoning laid out in our earlier discussion argues that expiry of the parent’s HHR at the time of the descendant’s birth does not matter for the descendant’s TARC application:

Unfortunately, I just discovered by re-reading the old threads that in @multipass’s situation, the NIA appeared to require proof that the deceased parent’s HHR was active at the time of birth.

Here’s the quote from @multipass’s thread (cue depressing music here):

This unfortunately seems to match with my case:

1. Deceased ROC parent
  2. HHR currently inactive
  3. Descendant born overseas
  4. Need to prove HHR was active during the date descendant was born. :sob:

And @paperclip’s case also relied on an active, non-expired HHR, as stated above:

Please, prove me wrong. Do I still have a chance at a TARC (under AF384) if my father’s HHR was inactive (i.e. expired automatically due to long overseas residence) at the date I was born? @multipass, could you perhaps clarify what exactly you had to prove about your HHR to get your TARC application approved? When you say you had to prove your mother’s HHR was “active” at the time of your birth, does “active” mean “not expired”?

I really want that to be true. But I’m not sure that we have seen proof of such a case (born to overseas ROC national with expired HHR) having successfully gone through.

If I attempt to understand the law that tando quoted, it states that these persons are eligible for a TARC (through AF384, though that’s not stated on the page):

Now, what is the exact meaning of 居住臺灣地區設有戶籍國民? Based on @multipass’s quote above, it seems the NIA took a hardline stance and said that the key aspect was proof that the HHR was active at the time of the overseas birth of the descendant.

Also from @Lain’s thread we see:

Again, implying that active status of HHR a time of birth seems to be required.

Can anyone point to evidence that an inactive HHR at time of birth can be used / has successfully been used for an AF384-based TARC?

If not, then AF384 might not be an option for me.

I think the only glimmer of hope is this part of @tando’s post:

Because of my limited Chinese ability I need time to work through the Chinese wording of the text to see if it really implies the “or originally” as stated in the English translation.

But even if “originally” having had HHR (i.e. HHR was expired at time of birth) still qualifies the applicant legally for an AF384-based TARC, the unfortunate fact remains that, as I understand, the NIA required @multipass to prove that the HHR was active at the time of birth, taking a stricter view of the law. So it could be an uphill battle to argue to the NIA that AF384 does not require HHR active at time of birth, but only requires having “originally” had an HHR. To make such a challenging legal argument to the NIA, I would probably go with an immigration lawyer like the one @tando linked to above (thanks @tando for the link to the Taiwanese immigration laywer).

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts would be appreciated!