Eligibility for NWOHR passport+TARC if no active household registration at time of birth

Hi @Hayashi,

Overall I think it might not be a problem, but I don’t know for sure. If I had to guess, I would guess it’s probably not a problem.

Through the many discussions we’ve had, we’ve discovered that there are actually many statuses of household registration that probably aren’t clearly explained to the public (at least in English terms).

‘Active’ can mean different things. For example:

• Active could mean not ‘expired’ or ‘inactive due to continuous duration outside of country’
  • Active could mean ‘not cancelled’ due to renouncing citizenship or losing citizenship for any other reason

I’m also uncertain that these concepts of ‘active’ or ‘not active’ existed at the time when I was born, or at the time you were born. I think we can’t assume the law and execution of the law (i.e. SOPs the government workers used to carry out the related work) in general, and the HHR law specifically, operated the same way without changing over the years.

I’ll try to check later, but at the time I was born my mother hadn’t been residing in Taiwan for multiple years, and I’m not completely sure but I would guess that she may not have returned to Taiwan for multiple years as well.

I think I just had to prove that my mom had a legitimate HHR at the time that hadn’t been cancelled or anything like that, but even so, I think I know of at least 1 case where a person’s parent’s HHR was still accepted despite ‘renouncing citizenship’ (if I remember the timeline of that case correctly).

I really want that to be true. But I’m not sure that we have seen proof of such a case (born to overseas ROC national with expired HHR ) having successfully gone through.

I think we do, for at least a couple of the various definitions of the term ‘expired’.

Can anyone point to evidence that an inactive HHR at time of birth can be used / has successfully been used for an AF384-based TARC?

I don’t think I have evidence handy, but I do believe I’ve heard of this case succeeding. Some people keep information like this somewhat private due to all of the struggles they have with the government around this issue, which can lead to fears of having their legal status here changed/revoked, which is really painful for a lot of children of Taiwanese parents in my experience. So, just because people aren’t rushing to post their personal details online doesn’t mean that there aren’t cases exactly like yours.

At this point, I would say that if you truly want to go through with this and believe it is important to you, you can just go ahead and give it a shot. If you are worried about it not working it, you don’t need to spend the time to try. However, either way you will need to try and see the results to truly know what the outcome will be. I personally think you should get the HHR for your parent first and review it in detail with someone with Chinese language skills and start there. That said, you will be relying on their interpretation, which is going at add another layer of potential confusion, so be sure to ask carefully, or even try doing your own analysis up front and then asking them about anything particular terminology.