Elk

Not too sure haven’t looked into or heard many people talking about it. I am not saying it’s the best, but it is super good for you.

Elk (proper name wapiti, careful, in the UK and Europe “elk” means moose) seems a rather odd choice, since the other two are much more common.
Game meat is good, although there is a risk of parasites.
Moose is pretty tough, though, being super lean, you pretty much got to make stew or something.

I want to eat a wapiti

download%20(1)download

Oh baby

Better start with just a part, they run like 500 lb each.

Is it better than wild boar, though? Not for the health, screw that, I’m talking flavor here.

1 Like

Not even close, the boar is way tastier.

Nothing wrong with wild boar.
Unless, you know, you live in 1972 and still think that animal fat is bad for you.

Then I’m in no urge to try elk meat. I’ll keep enjoying our boar overlards.

And remember kids, no more than one egg per day!

1 Like

The conventional wisdom is basically that elk is to venison as beef is to veal.
I mean, steak is steak, and a bigass rack of ribs is, you know, a bigass rack of ribs.

1 Like

Can this be purchased from the traditional markets? Raw, as I haven’t grown accustomed to the fatty fat and I want to char the hell out of it.

Venison’s good but it’s a bit dear.

He shoots, he scores.

My dad hunts boar and warthogs, takes the meat to a butcher and he gets sausage back. I think it’s like $120nt per kg to process it for him.

Tasty as man, especially over a BBQ.

I’ve never seen it in traditional markets, but there are many boar hunters in Yilan (especially in Datong) so it’s really easy to find wild boar meat in restaurants or even night markets around here. I guess it may be easier to find it closer to the mountains, but I’m in sashimi-land next to the sea.

I was going to say I reckon you’ve had bushmeat that was as good as or better than elk

You know what.

It was one of the best damn meals I ever had, my friends father was a hunter and bagged one, I think he had it in the freezer but he cooked it with some mushroom sauce it was pretty awesome .
Just ate it the once but man it was tasty. I was often hungry then so that probably helped . :slight_smile:.

Now I think back they called it a moose but moose and elk are the same right in Europe!

You see a lot of places advertising 山豬肉 but how do you know which is the real deal?

People eat moose?! :eek:

Yup, lots and lots.

Sorry

ETA:

Yes they do. Yum.

I have a half baked plan to bring back the extinct giant Irish deer (extinct after ice age) , we could have a good old barbie with one of them.

https://goo.gl/images/khzpGW

1 Like