Elon Musk's Magnificent Rebranding of Twitter

Im talking about Brazil.

I guess Elon Musk thinks it is currently more fun to give a feedback loop a twirl instead of finagling with his Hyperloop :sweat_smile:

I’m willing to stipulate that maybe Musk should have meditated awhile before sending that tweet, but I can’t see how events in Brazil have much to do with any one person. So in an attempt to add some context to Musk’s tweet, I’m tossing this little message in a bottle from the sandy shores of Banqiao into the text-sea of Forumosa (mods/admin will get no gripe from me if the post is Temped).

From Wikipedia:

. . .

Wikipedia, Politics of Brazil, “Vargas Years” (1930–1945)

. . .

Ibid., “Populist years (1946–1964)”

. . .

Ibid.

. . .

Ibid., “Military Dictatorship (1964-1985)”

. . .

Ibid., “New Republic (1985-1990)”

. . .

Ibid.

. . .

Ibid., “Collor government (1990-1992)”

. . .

–Ibid., “Itamar government, (1992-1994)”

. . .

Ibid., " FHC government (1995–2003)"

. . .

–Ibid., "Lula Government (2003-2011)

. . .

Ibid., “Rousseff Government (2011-2016)”

. . .

Wikipedia, Michel Temer

. . .

Wikipedia, Presidency of Jair Bolsonaro, “Background”

. . .

Ibid., “Accusations of violating international law”

. . .

Ibid.

. . .

Ibid.

. . .

Ibid.

. . .

Ibid.

. . .

Ibid., “2020 political crisis”

. . .

Ibid., “Surveys”

. . .

Wikipedia, Politics of Brazil, “Operação Lava Jato (Operation Car Wash)”

Wikipedia, Presidency of Jair Bolsonaro

1 Like

Indeed, one might think there may be a little more involved than some tweet a month ago.

1 Like

It was a tweet after the election

Nobody is saying he is solely responsible

More that’s it’s thoroughly irresponsible behavior from the owner of a social media network that has so much influence

And I think it’s irrefutable as well

1 Like

Like I said, I’ll stipulate to that, but I live in a country in which, in recent memory, some young folks stormed the Legislature and pretty much brought down the government as a result.

So I just put the recent events in Brazil under the rubric of “Stuff Happens.” I’m not saying I agree with what happened in Brazil, though. I don’t know enough about that place to have a firmly grounded opinion.

Not that I know all that much about the place where I’m living now, but if I remember rightly, I could sort of feel what was happening here. I guess it’s just because I’m here.

3 Likes

That was a noble undertaking of brave young people, not a vile insurrection by deranged right wingers.

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to find an exact quote of Victor Hugo saying about such things that if they succeed they’re called a revolution, but if they fail they’re called a riot. I’m gonna go look one more time for that elusive quote, boldly assuming that it exists outside my brain.

2 Likes

There are accepted revolutions, revolutions which are called revolutions; there are refused revolutions, which are called riots.

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Yup when the population agrees it’s a revolution or a coup. If it’s against what the population/media feels it’s a riot or occupation.

1 Like

So if we were consistent, we probably think it’s hard to believe that the NYP being banned for just two weeks had any relevance to the election whatsoever…

Well, for a conversation like that we need to rely on common sense, making reasonable conclusions based on facts as opposed to believing what we are told on the MSM.

For the Russian bots, common sense should have kicked in and said a couple dozen bot’s making noise on twitter (they weren’t even all pro Trump), wouldn’t have made much noise given the size of the platform, number of voices, money being piled in from campaigns and so on. But people did believe it made a difference because the MSM told them so and for many who hate Trump they wanted it to be true.

So you ask about the Hunter Biden story. I’m of the opinion that banning the story caused the Streisand effect in that more people were aware of the story because it got banned than might have otherwise known about it.

But once again the MSM went full court press to discredit the story. People that didn’t like Trump were inclined to believe it was disinformation because that is what they wanted to believe.

There was some survey done after the election which suggested (I forget the exact number) 20 or 30% of people who voted for Biden said they wouldn’t have done so if they were aware of the Laptop story, I don’t believe that. I think peoples minds are pretty hard to change when it comes to voting, the Hollywood tape in the 2016 election was true, was rightly condemned by everyone and yet Trump still went on to win.

Actually when looking at the Laptop story, it’s probably better to leave aside if an election outcome was affected. What that story and many of the Twitter files is about is the attempt to manipulate public opinion.

Elsewhere you (I seem to recall it was you, certainly others have asked) why shouldn’t the IC do that? That’s a good question, but perhaps one better suited to a discussion in politics than in the money forum.

2 Likes

Newly added.

2 Likes

Does anyone think the election in Brazil was rigged? Bolsonaro had control of the military for years and was even saying wouldn’t give up power before. How is that similar to the protests for the Sunflower stuff?

Also how is it relevant to the actual discussion, which is the boss of an influential social media network needs to be responsible for their words and actions. I think that is irrefutable as well,but people are too deep in the culture war nonsense

Musk could have said nothing and investigated any interference at Twitter and if he had evidence then made it public, you know like a responsible adult.

1 Like

MOre on the Nunes smears:

1 Like

Already linked above :slight_smile: Highlight

:bell: :bell: :bell:

3 Likes

If Lee smith’s book hadn’t been so dumbly named people would already know this stuff.

1 Like