Elon Musk's Magnificent Rebranding of Twitter

I don’t care about why he’s being sued. I just hate his guts.

1 Like

You don’t care that he’s being sued for following employment law to the letter? A law that exists for a good reason?

That’s an all-consuming hatred you’ve got there.

1 Like

Yes.

Seeing as he thinks Taiwan should just be handed over to China I wouldn’t protest too much if that were to happen. Sounds like dictator in the making. F him.

2 Likes

The problem here is that, whatever you might think of his opinions - and at least 50% of what he says is trolling - the US Justice Department is looking increasingly like its equivalents in banana republics. If they think they can get away with doing this to Elon Musk, who has sufficient cash to pay lawyers and/or “fines” to solve the problem, what happens when they start going after the little guy? Or even the medium-sized guy?

This is the sort of lawfare that happens in Putin’s Russia, the Stans, and some of the shittier corners of Asia. The IRS does similar things, and it’s not a good look. It’s anybody’s guess what the point of it even is.

1 Like

Isn’t it weird to see so much love for a guy that has essentially, very publicly, given the middle finger to Taiwan…on a Taiwan forum??

Always a bit painful to see elements of society vote/support those who have made it quite clear they are in direct conflict with their own (supposed) interests.

The lure of a cult of personality can transcend all logic it seems.

2 Likes

Which posts?

He’s done certain things that are very much in my interests. One can’t have everything. Nothing to do with personality, that’s for sure :blush:

If I could see evidence of the love for the man as the result of a cult of personality then I could respond.

1 Like

Obviously the DOJ disagrees. But just for the record, what law are you referring to that he followed to the letter?

Musk even remotely interested in, or having a history of, “following employment law to the letter”

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yes, obviously. The question is, why is it so vitally important to them that “refugees and asylum seekers”, presumably without the necessary work permits, should be equally represented in SpaceX? Why, indeed, is it so important to you?

The parts that he explained in interviews? I don’t pretend to be an expert on US employment law, but I would have thought that, if SpaceX is designated as some sort of sensitive industry then they have to be extremely careful about not even hiring a few Mexicans to do the gardening, just as a matter of common sense. How many non-green-card holders do you think are employed at NASA or Raytheon?

2 Likes

There is an insane amount of Tesla’s in Taiwan. It’s really baffling. Like, just choose another car. They are HUGE too completely impractical for Taiwans streets although i know nobody in Taiwan cares about practicality, they care about showing off, driving fast, dangerous and increasingly it seems - drunk.

Refugees can get work permits.

The issue isn’t that.

It’s not, but it’s about following the law and being fair (it should be more important to me, but I don’t really give much of a fuck. even though I should.).

What he’s said is bunk.

I’m a hiring manager for a large defense company. you think incorrectly.

Few. But the correct thing to state is you must have appropriate work rights (and be clearance eligible (etc), as appropriate), not you have to be a citizen or green card holder. ie state the actual requirements. As refugees can have work rights, and can work in no sensitive areas (like gardening,.probably),.say what the requirements are and don’t break the fucking law. Not. Complicated.

I’m sure they can. The point is, though, how many of them (a) actually do get work permits and (b) why is it so incredibly important that they get jobs at SpaceX, of all places? Why is it important to invest public resources in harassing SpaceX over how many refugees it has employed? Are similar lawsuits being brought against Texas Instruments or JPMorgan or AT&T? I doubt it. And I doubt very much that they embrace refugees in their hiring policies.

Of course it isn’t. But that’s the hallmark of a vexatious lawsuit, isn’t it?

And yet the Justice Department clearly has a good reading for the public mood. They know there are enough people @Gain, for example, whose sheer hatred of anything Musk-related will allow them to do anything they like, however pointless, without any protest.

At best, this lawsuit strikes me as a massive waste of money. Out of all the many issues the Justice Department might reasonably go after to improve American society, this one seems to have an exceedingly poor investment-to-outcomes ratio.

Fair enough. In that case I’m sure you’ll be outraged about the lack of immigrants etc working for Raytheon and NASA.

It’s far from obvious that SpaceX has done this. At the moment, these are merely allegations. My guess is that SpaceX will agree to give them money to make the problem go away, and perhaps have their lawyers sign some meaningless document that pays fealty to equality-of-outcomes gospel.

Interesting. The implication is that, as long as they can legally acquire the correct paperwork, absolutely anyone can “access export-controlled information” (this phrase seems to contradict their earlier claim about export control laws being irrelevant). The additional implication is that, if a hiring manager has suspicions that any such person could be a security risk, or simply unsuitable for the job, he is compelled to hire them regardless.

I’ve no doubt SpaceX has a whole raft of “unskilled” positions that could theoretically be filled by “asylees”. I’m not sure how asylum-seekers turn up in the US, but if I were a hiring manager presented with someone who turned up on a boat with no paperwork, refusing to answer questions about who he is or where he came from, and from general demeanour appeared to be from a country where people tend not to turn up for work, or defraud their employers, or worse, I think I’d be inclined to take a pass - regardless of the paperwork he presents. But I guess that makes me a racist.

Elon Musk is the worst person going

5 Likes

#Freespeech

1 Like

https://x.com/michaelsobolik/status/1701926222962266341?s=20

God he is so abysmal that it cant even be put into words. He is really a piece of fucking shit. CCP shill

4 Likes

Wow, I have the Twitter app, but I don’t have an account.

I saved a picture and the app wanted access to all my photos?

What the af!

I am not a Twitter user and can watch that clip fine, don’t need to sign in to anything or download an app nor am I asked for details.

That said, is he parroting China talking points? Obviously some, “reunification” is a pro China talking point since the PRC has never been unified with Taiwan. But then adopts a more Western view in that a Chinese attack of Taiwan might be happening any minute now and is seems inevitable and just a matter of time.

Does that make him a piece of shit? Well some have already decided that so this will just add to the confirmation bias. As for me, on this topic he seems to be spouting shit, blathering on about Hawaii makes him sound like a moron, on this topic. But then so many others do the same and to be fair, on this topic we all live here and no doubt have given the topic a lot more thought than someone who passed though China and managed to digest Chinese talking points and its not clear he was able to even do that as its commingeled with western assumptions.