Embarking on a new journey, taking on Mandarin

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, and, well, as the subject suggests, I am embarking on my thrid journey towards another language. I’m already familiar with english, which is my native tongue, and french which is my second language, and quite fluent in. I was wondering if anyone knows of any ways to start with Chinese, including Chinese school, which some are operating in my current high school.

I also am talking to a lot of people in chinese chats through yahoo, is this a good idea?

Thanks,

Pearce

What is the best pinyin to use?, how do I go about learning new words?.. Ahh, there’s so much to ask!

Pearce

Hey,

One other question, even though, my previous 2 questions have gone unanswered. I was wondering if picking up Mandarin through various chatrooms, including those provided by yahoo, might be a good idea for picking up mandarin characters? I meet, and know of a lot of chinese people, who have learned Mandarin through habitual use of their writing skills through chat programs. As to what their pronunciation, and verbal communication is like, I haven’t any idea…

Anyone have any suggestions, what about pinyin convertors?, I guess I have a lot to learn, but I am a plenty willing :slight_smile:.

Thanks,

Pearce

You can find the answers to your questions by looking through past threads and using the search function. For basic questions, I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finding what you want to know.