Emergency translation needed ASAP!

NO GOOGLE TRANSLATE PLEASE.

I need a native mandarin speaker who is also fluent in English to translate this for me asap!!! I will explain my reasons why later but PLEASE, please help!

在毛毛蟲的世界,盡頭是什麼 能 主宰自已人生的人說是蝴蝶

In the world of the caterpillar, what would be the end (of the road)? Those who have control of their lives say it is butterfly.

It doesn’t sound too good, I know, but until someone better at this comes along…hope it helps.

Are you studying zhuāng zhōu mèng dié(莊周夢蝶) then?

I’ll be honest.

One of my favorite quotes is

“What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly”

and I had one of my Taiwanese friends translate it for me. She translated it as the above text. Well, I did a drastic thing and got a butterfly tattoo with this quote in Chinese and I am worried it is wayyyyy off. (google translate said something crazy). It was something I had been thinking about doing for awhile, and my brother came to visit. He decided to get a tattoo in Taipei and as I’ve been going through some transformations I thought it was the perfect time.:frowning:

It’s not way off…but I’m more worried about the “盡頭是什麼” part.

It reads as if your friend thought the first part of your quote was a question instead of a subordinate clause…

I would’ve translated it as “毛毛蟲世界的結束是主給蝴蝶生命的開始” but then I’m not a native Chinese speaker.

主 as in “master” but I think in my context it refers to more or less God.

If it’s on your butt, you don’t need to worry.

Why don’t you just have it tatooed in Eng instead.The original version sure sound a lot better.

[quote=“catfish13”]It’s not way off…but I’m more worried about the “盡頭是什麼” part.

It reads as if your friend thought the first part of your quote was a question instead of a subordinate clause…

I would’ve translated it as “毛毛蟲世界的結束是主給蝴蝶生命的開始” but then I’m not a native Chinese speaker.

主 as in “master” but I think in my context it refers to more or less God.[/quote]

I’m confused. So in your opinion, what is the best translation you can give me in English? Thanks:/

Sounds like OP already got it tattooed…now, I’m actually inclined to ask where.

Too late now. It’s already done. Besides, I thought that it would be cool in Chinese, as Taiwan is playing a big part in my transformation process.:frowning:

I will tell but you have to give me your translation first!! The best you can give, please. I feel so aggravated. I shouldn’t have done it!!! But I know I’m not the first in the history of womankind to regret this.

[quote=“Skyfae”][quote=“catfish13”]It’s not way off…but I’m more worried about the “盡頭是什麼” part.

主 as in “master” but I think in my context it refers to more or less God.[/quote]

I’m confused. So in your opinion, what is the best translation you can give me in English? Thanks:/[/quote]

“What is the end in a caterpillar’s world? He who can control his own destiny calls it a butterfly.”

Edit: actually, if you translated it word for word it’s actually life not destiny.

[quote=“catfish13”][quote=“Skyfae”][quote=“catfish13”]It’s not way off…but I’m more worried about the “盡頭是什麼” part.

I’m confused. So in your opinion, what is the best translation you can give me in English? Thanks:/[/quote]

“What is the end in a caterpillar’s world? He who can control his own destiny calls it a butterfly.”

Edit: actually, if you translated it word for word it’s actually life not destiny.[/quote]

Well. I guess it’s not that bad but I did want it to say the master or God. Now I don’t know what to do.

it’s on the back of my right hip but and trails a little lower down. They didn’t really listen to where I wanted it.

In the spirit of the internet, post pics?

Maybe time to talk to a cosmetic surgeon to see if you could get it surgically removed.

[quote=“catfish13”]In the spirit of the internet, post pics?

Maybe time to talk to a cosmetic surgeon to see if you could get it surgically removed.[/quote]

Do you think the translation is that bad?

Its done, just let it be.

Spend the rest of your life explaining what it means to everyone who sees it :slight_smile:

[quote=“Skyfae”][quote=“catfish13”]In the spirit of the internet, post pics?

Maybe time to talk to a cosmetic surgeon to see if you could get it surgically removed.[/quote]

Do you think the translation is that bad?[/quote]

It just sounds a little awkward thats all.
I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you, seeing how you have it tattooed at a place where only those intimate with you will see.
It’ll be quite a story you can tell and actually share as life experience, at least much better than women who got words like hookers or skanks in Chinese as tramp stamps and thought that they meant stuff like chi or positive energy or whatever the hell they thought it meant.

[quote=“catfish13”][quote=“Skyfae”][quote=“catfish13”]In the spirit of the internet, post pics?

Do you think the translation is that bad?[/quote]

It just sounds a little awkward thats all.
I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you, seeing how you have it tattooed at a place where only those intimate with you will see.
It’ll be quite a story you can tell and actually share as life experience, at least much better than women who got words like hookers or skanks in Chinese as tramp stamps and thought that they meant stuff like chi or positive energy or whatever the hell they thought it meant.[/quote]

thanks. BTW, are you a native speaker?:wink:

Of Mandarin? No. My parents are though and they did make me take lessons when I was young. I was born here and did go to school for a couple of years, but I don’t really think I know enough Chinese to be a native speaker.