Emigrating Taiwan for the sake of my children. To stay or go?

some people are like that when something happen to their dogs/cats. They treat their pets as their family. Some people even change their jobs/living places etc. to take care of their sick/old pets.

I understand you feel that way, but there are people who feel differently from how you feel.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Everyone should love their kids at a very bare minimum as much as they love their pets and yes they should love their
Kids more

But itā€™s ok to love your pets as much as you love your human kids

1 Like

Careful nowā€¦ some folks round 'ere donā€™t like that kinda talkin

1 Like

Some people love Hitler.

There, Iā€™ve ended the discussion. There can be no comeback from this.

1 Like

Well its already been established that some people love doggies, put nappies on them and wheel them around in pramsā€¦

Tell me about it. 800 ntd for a minuscule organic made in Japan 100% shea butter cream for my Bobby`s paws. So they will be soft and smooth.

And then he jumps into a pool of mud and yuckā€¦

wut? how does that pool of mud enter the picture?
do you put a pool of mud and let your pets(kitties?) go mud wrestling at homeā€¦or?

Nope. Doggie gets off his pram and mud wrestles in the park, mountain hike, outing.

In spite of his owner, he is a normal dog that splashes around in the water, mud and others, making him look more like an MRT mop and less Westminster finalist.

1 Like

But doesnā€™t sound like a normal Taiwanese local dog.

I read tugou climb trees. Mine climbs sofas and beds and park benches.

I had one that probably had some tugou blood, heā€™s the most handsome dude Iā€™d ever seen. Dead loyal tooā€¦but he only climbed my concrete fence(didnā€™t know how to get down)ā€¦and humped on every male dog for dominanceā€¦

Hi,

Did you end up leaving Taiwan eventually? Would love an update.

Thanks

Yes, would be interesting to hear from the OP.
Our kid is now in Grade 6. The future looms.

I canā€™t send her to junior high, the drudgery, testing and homework is too much.
This year weā€™ve pulled her out 2 days a week, preparing to fully break with the system next year.
She might pop into her junior high for science lessons, but that would be about it.
If that doesnā€™t work out, we may well return to the UK.

what benefits do uk schools have though? other than the obvious less time studying factor i think my school time was pretty shite for the most part.

Yeah public schools in Ireland and the UK can be pretty rough and tumble . I also share concerns about junior high in Taiwan . My kids are in elementary school and thereā€™s already a lot of tests. On the other hand there a lot of club activities in the school.

1 Like

My concerns about UK schools are that so-called ā€œrough and tumbleā€, the edge, the phone usage, sex, drugs. But it seems junior-high here is too much the other extreme. Iā€™ve already seen my kid in 5th grade dragging home a 5kg school bag, and working on homework from 7pm to 10pm. Thatā€™s what started me pulling her out of the system.

She was on a 4 day week for most of 5th grade, and we arranged with her teacher that she could drop the daily ā€˜essayā€™ that all her classmates had to do. This year, 6th grade, sheā€™s going in 2-3 days a week, with more homework exemptions. Couple of subjects sheā€™s dropping completely, social science and art.

Right now, 8.30pm, sheā€™s chilled out downstairs reading a book. Not slaving at homework. Thatā€™s progress.

Youā€™re a good father, the system here is just ridiculous overload. They canā€™t help themselves.

Social scienceā€¦I havenā€™t figured out what that is yet.

My 2 kids are attending Canadian schools this year, my daughter high school and my son junior high. This is the first time in 3-4 years I have seen my daughter happy at school. The difference between the school system here and in Taiwan is night and day (not all good of course).

It helps of course that her her grade 10 math class is covering what she covered in Taiwan in grade 8, but the culture is completely different.