Emigrating Taiwan for the sake of my children. To stay or go?

I will be impressed by the educational system here when I can watch the news and not groan in amazement at cases such as this guy who is driving his big 4WD minivan by the sugar came tourist farm and sees a nice house so he stops right there…on the tourist train tracks. He gets off and wanders and leaves the car parked in the middle of the tracks. Lots of signs around but even if he does not see them WHO THE HELL parks his car on the train tracks?!

Maybe wait to see how Brexit turns out. I think your kids will do better in the UK at around the age when they’d begin junior high school here. Yes, a pension would be great. It is a hard decision there are pluses and minuses but I’d recommend you went to back to the UK.
By the way teaching kids is kind of easy they’re just irritating but there are many worse things like being a road worker or coal miner.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Not just that - there are laws that protect children to the point where if a parent were to correct their child, they risk losing their child.

Child protective services anyone? All it takes is a phone call from a “well meaning” non-parent…

Hello everyone. I am the OP.
I am living happily in the UK with my kids a year and a bit into school - both loving it.
I have a stable job in IT and am looking to get a promotion soon.
My wife is still not here due to reasons beyond our control. It’s not all sweetness and light but I stand behind my decision 100%.

To all those considering the same - you can make it work if you are hardworking, conscientious and dedicated like I am. If you want a cruisy life with an easy $650 an hour, stay in Taiwan is my advice.

To the haters who said it can’t be done or won’t be worth it. Not everyone is as hardworking, conscientious and dedicated as I. One can only judge others by one’s own standards. Negativity is but a reflection of one’s own view of oneself.

Right now I am happy to consider Taiwan to be a great place I used to live, and one day hope to enjoy a holiday there.

3 Likes

Two years on @Nuit.
Any change or biking the backroads of Taiwan still a great lure for you?

Congratulations. Or, perhaps more accurately, self-congratulations.

Guy

12 Likes

The irony is that the OP previously wrote:

I believe that as you get older, you should earn more money for less work, basically. That, I believe, is a cornerstone of Western employment.

Sounds like the belief system of someone who is hardworking, conscientious and dedicated!

still clinging on to Taiwan life. Kid is back in school, a bilingual junior high, which we’re paying for. Small class sizes, morning in Chinese (maths, language, science) and afternoon schooling all in English with native speakers. This approach seems to be limiting the homework, and so far it’s going Ok. Thanks for asking.

5 Likes

Congratulations to you! I’m in complete awe at your greatness.

7 Likes

If you want your kids to grow up Brit they should grow up in Britain.

Keep going you can make it.

Can you quote please I l am not sure what you were referring to :grinning:

Good to hear UK is working out. Any concerns about the incompetent pandemic response and the upcoming no-deal Brexit farce?

1 Like

Maybe here students have more homework but maybe its better and no time to be like those people in Uk

Oh see at weekends people like that

2 Likes

True story. Before I moved here to teach the UK was trying to recruit teachers at my university. I was surprised why they would need Canadian teachers. Apparently it’s low past and the kids are just rotten. So I’ve heard. I turned it down and came to Taiwan

One in four teachers in the UK say they experience physical violence from their pupils at least once a week, and many say poor behaviour is making them want to leave the profession.