Emigrating Taiwan for the sake of my children. To stay or go?

Summer is rampant with domestic violence because parents do not have tegh time, enerygy or knowledge to handle kids on vacation.

Itā€™s not just here. In most countries.

Because parents are afraid to discipline their kids nowadays, fearing they will be disliked/rejected by their children, or because they will hurt their kidsā€™ so-called self-esteem.

2 Likes

That is Western thinking. Here they are just too tired, cannot deal with it. they do not go as far thinking about self esteem or other Western BS. They are too poor intellectually for that. They are office drones, 18 hour a day workers. Do not ask that much. They never get to be with their kids, only grandma or baomu know how to handle them. The kids and their parents are strangers.

1 Like

Are you getting these stories from Oliver Twist to whore as many likes as possible?

1 Like

Youā€™re a bag of laughs yourself ā€¦

4 Likes

Whatā€™s your problem?

What you have observed is half of the picture and is generally true.

The belief of raising kids to be natural, away from concrete jungle, away from civilization is also more and more popular among Taiwanese parents. There are these so-called forest schools that only the rich can afford these days. Relatives of mine send their kids to one of the most popular forest schools to be natural and without the constraints of civilizationā€¦behaving like feral children I find absolutely rude and annoying.:roll_eyes:

I have a pal who just started working at one of those fake buxiban, actually bilingual kindergarden/care station. Rich parents in Audis drop kids off as young as two months old to learn English, stay all day while they work. Kids in easily recognizable uniforms from prestigious schools come in the afternoon. Parents from all strata are trapped in thsi rat race wher ethey work and never see the kids for whom they toil so hard.

Yep, one wishes a more relaxed way, closer to nature for starters. It is better for mental health, for once. And yes, younger parents, younger generation in general, are rebeling against the machine.

1 Like

Please tell me youā€™re exaggerating. Thereā€™s a 2 month old baby chilling in a buxiban class? You meant 2 years oldā€¦ right? Otherwiseā€¦ my god. :flushed:

1 Like

Once again, you have the luxury of being able to cherry-pick aspects of their realities and criticize them, with you not having any kids (not that thereā€™s anything WRONG with that).
You also have to recognize that kids from lower- to middle-income families got ZERO chance of any kind of a future.
Their families will never be able to afford the buxi for them to get into the 99.99th percentile accepted into government (read: FREE) Uni.
And theyā€™ll certainly never be able to afford tuition to a private Uni.

So Iā€™m not sure what you would have them do, theyā€™re providing for their kidsā€™ future the best way they know how, by keeping the gravy coming in.

1 Like

Haha, itā€™s true though. Canā€™t even sit up and already have an ABC waving a ball in their face yelling ā€œBALL! BALL!ā€

Dude, thatā€™s insane. My daughter is 14 months old and even now only knows about 3 words. Those poor teachers.

Itā€™s not true, yeesh

Of course anecdotes as such are representative of all parents and children in Taiwan.

Classic Forumosa.

Have you ever been to one of those really famous 幼兒園 that teach English? Minimum age is 1 month

My guessā€“rich parents have more money to do extreme experimental education with their kids. itā€™s either luxurious private schools that cram their kids or luxurious private schools that donā€™t teach their kids anything.

yaā€¦but not that close.

owners can easily register as daycare centres but still run them in buxiban style.

I think we need to hear from someone who has actually taught an infant in order to settle this. :popcorn:

1 Like

I got a nice tour! And afterwards I said it looks like a nightmare.

Dude I want your life. You seem to have way less scar tissue. Kaohsiung, right?