Emirates Airlines bans employees from wearing ROC flag

Now on the subject of Emirates. Not allowing Taiwanese girls to show where they come from is a slight on Taiwan and it’s people. Now Emirates can do what they want . But since they fly to Taiwan. And this is a Privilege granted to the company. Not a Right, a business privilege, they should be banned from Taiwan with immediate effect.

The Taiwanese working for them are subject to their own personal choice whether to continue to work with Emirates or seek other employment.

But the correct Governmental Response here is to terminate their right to fly to Taiwan.

Can you imagine if they asked American stewards/stewardesses to drop their American flags? There would definitely be repercussions.

Can you imagine if they asked Singapore girls to fly the PRC flag? Do you think they would be able to keep their right to fly to Singapore?

Emirates slapped Taiwan in the face. They should be banned from Taiwan until they have the balls to say to China , go “F” yourself. Thank you .

2 Likes

I agree. How did they think it’s appropriate to not only not allow the roc flag but make them wear the PRCs flag instead. The nonchalant way they said we ordered more PRC flag pins for everyone just shows how clueless they are. And that’s pretty bad for a company that’s job it to fly people from one country to another. They should know that was a bad move.

3 Likes

It’s been revoked. It came with a response that it was “incorrect and inappropriate.” The current situation is that neither are they required to wear the Chinese flag nor Taiwan’s. Simply nothing for now.

They can’t know it is a bad move if the ROC govt allows that to go unchallenged.

It would be saying it is OK to push Taiwanese stews around.

It is NOT ok in my book.

Emirates is a company. IF they did not fly to Taiwan there is little the Taiwan govt can or should do. But they do have a little thing called a flight to Taiwan that can be banned.

If this is allowed to “fly” so to speak. What if Phillippines airlines and Singapore Airlines and other airlines did the same, and didn’t allow Taiwanese girls to show their country of origin? That would be China’s next step. The companies have to be put on notice that this is NOT ok.

1 Like

This may be the result of a rep from Taiwan giving them a call. Emirates would not on it’s own retract that mandate.

[quote=“Super_Fire, post:20, topic:160632, full:true”]
their flight attendants all have to wear head scarves. [/quote]

Not on flights that neither start nor end in Islamic countries (though most of their flights start or end in Dubai).

Looks like the little “plan” backfired rather quickly.

I mean, that’s a little better I suppose, but I’d rather not fly on a Muslim airline again, though I guess terrorists never blow up their own airlines.

That’s the main reason I’ve used them in the past :slight_smile:

Of course, doesn’t prevent them from blowing up their own aircraft through incompetence, but I spose there are plenty of other airlines where you take that risk. I was on one tinpot Middle East airline where they played a pre-flight prayer over the intercom, which they announced as a “prayer for safe arrival”. My first thought was, hmm, wonder if subcontracting out their flight safety to God is a cost-reduction measure? People who think God is some sort of Santa Claus who will fix their screwups or laziness really piss me off.

Anyway, what I don’t get is, if it’s that easy to retract, why did Emirates start all this nonsense in the first place? If it genuinely had come from Beijing the response would have been ‘sorry, you’ll have to speak to the Chinese about it, we’ve had our orders’.

Sounds like someone playing silly buggers just for the fun of it.

I won’t be flying Emirates ever, but that’s mainly because the first and last time I did I had some trouble with an outrageously snotty gate agent at DXB(?), who thought he’d have some fun winding me up by not telling me if my flight had closed boarding or not.

I guess you’ve never heard of the Sunni versus Shia conflict. They tend to blow each other up quite a bit.

I know a human being is not a website, but the points here are still valid:

http://www.flagsarenotlanguages.com/blog/why-flags-do-not-represent-language/

I do know about their conflict, but my point is they never hijack their own airlines for some reason.

They cancelled citing error or incorrect.

That’s quite obviously, like, a blatant lie though, innit. You don’t write a memo like that by mistake.

1 Like

They don’t say that, they just say they’ve reconsidered due to adverse reactions.
Note that they haven’t completely redacted, they now say that NO flag pins will be worn, so they’re still not letting the Taiwan staff wear their actual colours.
Passive aggressive BS.

To complicate matters further, Taiwanese flight attendants (used to) love working for Emirates because of their good pay and benefits.

Of course, far be it from your average urban Taipei cutie to let a little thing like national pride get in the way of a fat paycheque.

Especially since they’re still likely to get benched once they’re past 30 or thereabouts any friggin ways.

I actually have a relative working for them, and while she isn’t pleased about the flag thing, she hasn’t considered quitting. Too busy stacking the Baldjamins.

yea its an unlikely thing to quit over. its quite a sought after job in taiwan. although i personally i can’t see why. my ex worked for eva air and it just sounded like my worst nightmare. i hate flying. i know someone who i wouldn’t consider to be all that goodlooking, average at best. she doesn’t post anything particularly interesting on her instagram but shes getting mad followers now that she is a cabin crew. i don’t get it.

Yeah, all that outrage is really powerful! Let’s all struggle for Taiwan independence! And the pathetic reality is that Apple Daily et al. will push this for a few days, Taiwhiners will vent their anger and not a single Taiwanese will choose a domestic carrier such as EVA Air over Emirates if there is as little as a 100 NT difference. THAT is the reality of brave Taiwanese and their Western libtard idiot friends.