Emojis and stickers -- What on earth is going on in Taiwan!?

I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what the heck is going on with emojis in Taiwan. I’ve noticed that with people I’ve just met, business relationships and even my landlord, are way overboard into emojis. A simple request is always returned with an over-the-top animated response.

I get dancing dolls, bears, animated thumbs up, etc…from people which is no way match the status of the relationship in my opinion. I know I’m being a bit British about all this, but it strikes me as bizarre how people jump way ahead in the relationship with all these emojis. Can anyone help me get a handle on what is going on!!! :rofl:

1 Like

Are you referring to LINE stickers? Totally standard communication style here. I think it actually helps to keep things light where text alone might come off a bit too brusque or passive aggressive. There are actually whole sets deemed appropriate for workspace communications. In fact, I have a sticker set called “Snoopy at Work,” or something like that, just for my coworker/supervisor chat.

In sum: responding to “Please turn this in by noon tomorrow” with “Okay” is fine and all, but it’s even better followed with a sticker of Snoopy doing a salute. Keep it cute. It’s just the Taiwanese way.

1 Like

You mean stickers. Yeah lol. Kawai culture

Embrace it. Go to LINE official stickers – Latest hit stickers | LINE STORE and get stickers to retaliate. e.g. FULL SCREEN IN YOUR FACE STICKERS WITH SOUND

1 Like

Passive aggressively reply with text emoji.

See you at 2pm (^▽^)

Please do something about the upstairs neighbors (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

etc

1 Like

Haha…cheers.

We used it often to cool down the tone or just to make quick reply :upside_down_face:

One of the reasons I hate LINE.

Though I did notice a Korean Fish sticker set and thought it was hilarious.