The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

So after 220 days (7+ months)…

Good News:

Bad News:
I literally mailed my U.S. Passport out yesterday for renewal which are taking 12-18 weeks to process.

Congrats!! Hopefully you’re not in a rush…assuming not since you didn’t renew the passport sooner.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s been a journey.

There is no rush at this point. The idea back in December 2020 was to move to Taiwan on or after August 2021. Those plans were obviously put on hold as the approval process dragged on so I’ll have to work with my family and family in Taiwan to figure out if and when the best time would be to do the actual move.

A bit of backstory, in my open letter to the WDA and Ministry of Science & Technology, I was brutally honest and told them my primary goal was to get my Taiwanese “citizenship” (through birthright) and that my Gold Card application was just a “stop-gap measure” because COVID restrictions were making it nearly impossible to get my Taiwanese passport without household registration and all the supporting documentation needed to be verified in Taiwan from records that are over 70 years old from a city/county that has since then “merged” with another.

Being open about it here, I’m sure will be controversial since I’m using a “Gold Card” as a means to an end. Even though there is no mention of a quota limit on these Gold Cards, some of you may view that I “took” someone else’s Gold Card that may otherwise have received one. Obviously, I hope that’s not the case, but I knew from all the research and thread reading that I met all the requirements and fit the criteria for the Gold Card and it would be a lot quicker to allow me and my family to move to Taiwan, and start work on fulfilling the requirements for Taiwanese citizenship. Then be able to pass Taiwanese citizenship to my children (already dual U.S./Canadian) and possibly future children.

I truly hope everyone here who wants to move to Taiwan, receives their Gold Card. Taiwan is amazing.

Anyway, that’s the short story, long. Now the planning begins all over again while I wait to get my renewed U.S. passport.

Congrats Kermee! It’s definitely been a journey for you.

I’ve been stuck on the "Review by the Workforce Development Agency” for over two weeks now, initial application was on 1/30 so your approval is giving me a tiny bit of hope.

1 Like

I know this is the wrong thread, but later on, I will need to go through the process of getting Resident Visas and ARCs for my family. My children are dual-citizens (US/Canada), but my wife is dual HK/Canada. For my children, I’m just going to go through the process as US. However, with my wife, does she apply as a HK (she keeps a valid residency card and passport) or as a Canadian?

Thought I would ask here before I check through the more official channels. Thanks in advance.

Imo, as a Canadian would be simpler. Years on a resident permit as a dependent of a resident foreigner are not counted for 3 years to get ROC citizenship as a HKer. Iiuc

1 Like

Hi all,

I just received my gold card after my initial application in January this year. Had to switch category and sharing further documentations before finally receiving the approval. :slight_smile:

Have read through a lot of websites and this forum on various topics. I just had some questions on tax which I hope fellow forumers can provide some advice.

From Taiwan Employment Gold Card FAQ 臺灣就業金卡常見問題 - Foreigners in Taiwan - 外國人在臺灣, it says that “Exemption from tax on overseas income (alternative minimum tax, or AMT) for the first three years in which the foreigner is a tax resident (stays in Taiwan over 183 days).”

For my situation, I will still continue to work for the same company based in my home country and thus be on overseas payroll when I am in Taiwan. It is like a work from home arrangement except that I will be doing these work from my upcoming residence in Taiwan. If I understand correctly from the link I shared earlier, I will not be eligible for tax in Taiwan if I stay more than 183 days a year? What happens if I stay less than 183 days a year? Do I have to pay 18% fixed rate from foreign sourced income as well? I am not quite sure what the AMT refers to.

1 Like

I’m not a tax expert so take my response with a huge grain of salt, but I believe that AMT exemption is for things like foreign dividends and other income that’s not derived from work performed in Taiwan.

For income from work, if it’s done physically in Taiwan, it’s considered Taiwan source income and taxable here. The normal tax law would apply - if you’re working for an overseas company but performing the work in Taiwan, it will be considered Taiwan source income (so the 18% rule would apply if you are here less than 183 days).

In terms of how to actually file or get clarifications, it’s best to contact the National Taxation Bureau in your area. It really depends on the type of work (self employed or for a foreign employer, etc) and your country.

That makes perfect sense. Awesome. Thank you so much!

Hi everyone,

I am interested to hear if anyone has applied through the ‘education field’ PhD from a top 200 route. I have a couple of questions

1. How did you find the process?

2. Did the PhD have to be literally in the field of education or do they accept PhD’s in general (if they are from a top 200)?

3. Did you have to provide any additional documentation (i.e working history, educational transcripts etc)?

Thanks, Tom

There’s a few folks on here who have shared about their process. I think @Andrew is one of them. Maybe also someone named Fatima.

Re: #2, no a PhD in any field seems to be acceptable.

1 Like
  1. I found it surprisingly easy, having originally applied under science and technology and that turning into a pain (my main updates here and here).
  2. The PhD doesn’t need to be in the field of education. Mine was in chemistry, and I know of another education gold card holder whose PhD was in musicology. The important thing is apparently just the university ranking (seems a bit odd to me, but there you go).
  3. I don’t think so. I had a few documents already on the system from the original application, but for the reapplication I just resubmitted a copy of my PhD certificate (actually just a photo taken in one of those document archiving apps that makes it look like a scan) and a revised cover letter (which may not have been necessary). That’s it. :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Perhaps a Gold Card via education PhD from a top 200 university might be the easiest to renew?

Thanks Andrew, your reply is really helpful and I’m glad you got in through the PhD route (it also sounds like you had a bit of an ordeal with the other application!). I just now need to crack on with the final stage of the writing up so I can apply!

1 Like

Here is the timeline for the renewal of my Gold Card:

Date Status Days In Between Cumulative days
2021/06/17 Application - Under Review
2021/06/19 待二審 (secondary inspection) 2 2
2021/06/23 Back and Forth for changing address 4 6
2021/06/23 Professional Review by Workforce Development 0 6
2021/07/07 Consulting with Ministry of Science and Technology 14 20
2021/07/12 Review by the Workforce Development Agency 5 25
2021/07/14 Review by the National Immigration Agency 2 27
2021/07/16 IC Card in Process 2 29

Glad to be able to be another 3 years in the club! For those who didn’t join the community yet, we are here

4 Likes

Hey Kermee,

How does one change their application category? I also applied under Economy but am considering changing it back to Science & Technology after it being 3 months since giving supplemental documents and no update. I believe I qualify under both categories.

There’s two ways:

#1. Contact the Gold Card Help Desk. They can change the application back to a status where you can re-enter the application and change the industry.
#2. Wait it out until they invariably ask for more supplemental documentation. At that point when you re-enter the application, you can change the industry.

Since it sounds like #2 has passed for you, best is to reach out to the Gold Card Help Desk so they can pull the application back to a status where you can change the industry.

NOTE: Even though it may show you have already uploaded documents when you re-enter your application, they are NOT saved I’ve been told. Re-upload EVERYTHING before you re-submit to the new industry you have chosen.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’ll contact the help desk and be sure to re-upload everything - I think that also gives me the chance to re-tailor my cover letter accordingly. Congrats on getting your Gold Card! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there any criteria that would allow my parents to be dependents on my gold card?

Or…any idea if my elderly, long-retired parents would be able to apply for their own gold card as PhD holders from a top 200 university? I’d imagine it’s against the spirit of the program but would it be allowed?

Parents cannot get residency as dependents, though those of gold card holders can get longer visitor visas.

iiuc, there is no age restriction.

1 Like