The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

But did they actually issue your Gold Card or is that part still on pause?

lol I thought Level 3 was the visa processing halt. Now it’s Level 2?

They extended it indefinitely

They issued it, I got the authorization document and my application shows as Complete. I believe I could travel to Taiwan now, but not with any of my dependents.

Oh interesting. The presumption in this thread had been that they were pausing that at the federal level during the level 3 but I guess it really was at the overseas branch’s discretion. Congrats to you although I suppose it doesn’t actually help you much.

1 Like

I applied for the gold card on 21.7.8 based on my reaching the income level in my IT tech job. However, I took a break from that job for the last 7 years to teach English in mainland China and though I got them all the documentation they required (W2’s from my tech job and a letter of introduction from my tech job), they said today (21.7.27) that the requirement is that you had that salary within the last 3 years, so my application was denied.

I will still try for a “looking for a job” visa and see if we can get there with that, but obviously not until they start processing visa’s again.

Oh well, thanks anyway for all of you who posted this possibility and your experiences here.

Some news regarding the gold card in the latest Gold Card newsletter (some already discussed here, but adding a bit more information):

1. From 7/27 to 8/9, R.O.C. (Taiwan) Overseas Missions will halt the processing of visa applications (including the Passport Inspection Stage of the Gold Cards). Please refer to BOCA’s News & Events & CDC’s press release and our website
  2. Allowing Employment Gold Card extensions for 6+6 months: Previously, Employment Gold Card holders could only reapply for a card when it expired; in the future, they will be able to apply for two extensions of up to six months each.
  3. Previously, foreign professionals needed to have continuously resided in Taiwan for five years, being present for 183+ days in each of those years, before they could apply for permanent residency; in the future, they will only need to have been present for an average of 183+ days per year instead of 183+ days every year, and foreign special professionals will only need to have continuously resided in Taiwan for three years, which can be further shortened by one to two years if they obtained a master’s or doctoral degree in Taiwan
2 Likes

dear forumosans! As I guess there are not many second timers so far I was thinking to share my experiences here. I had my first GC issued in early 2019 so it was about to expire next year (2022) and since the COVID is slowing down almost everything I though it might worth it to apply a bit earlier for my second term. It turned out to be a good decision since from initial filing to picking up my new card 6 months passed (I applied in Taiwan) though I had to upload new documents along the way.

The process was the same compared to last time, even easier since now professional staff and a good website is there to help you.

Also, the new card has a different color, I would say its an orangish, yellowish (Gold?) and after 10 years I have a new ID number as well.

1 Like

Very interesting. Any information how you would go about this?

isn’t it the 6 month extension of ARC? Is it an extension of gold card?

From what I understand, it’s an actual Gold Card Extension:

§9 Providing for pre-expiry application to extend an Employment Gold Card

Previously, an Employment Gold Card holder had to apply for its renewal when it expired; in the future, they can apply for its extension.

[…]

§13 Employment Gold Card holders may apply for up to two pre-expiry extensions of 6 months each.

Previously, Employment Gold Card holders could only reapply for a card when it expired; in the future, they will be able to apply for two extensions of up to six months each.

Could be very important if just some time is missing until APRC eligibility.

Just need to see how the process will be implemented, i.e. if the extension is just a formality or will require an extensive review and the need to submit additional information again.

Article 13 is about the 6 month ARC extension. Chinese version says 6 month extension of residency, which currently work based ARC holders can apply but gold card holders cannot. Gold card holders are currently advised to apply for job seeking visa or work based ARC when they cannot renew their gold card before the expiration date. So, I think it is the 6 month ARC extension.

Article 9 is about extension of gold card instead of renewal when gold card holders meet some requirements. It is up to 3 years at an application.

Isn’t the Gold Card an ARC, too? So an ARC extension for the Gold Card would extend the Gold Card too maybe?

Gold card includes ARC.

Article 9 says they can apply for gold card extension up to 3 years. Article 13 says they can apply for the 6 month ARC extension twice. iiuc

1 Like

Pretty sure this was covered already, but cannot find it. After renewing my passport as every 10 years, new passport number. Do I need to do something to update my gold card? Right now out of Taiwan, can I simply arrive at immigration with new passport and gold card without matching number? I did keep the invalidated old passport.

Or do I need to go to Taiwan embassy and request a new gold card with updated passport number?

It reads to me like Article 9 just says you can apply for extension, and then Article 13 defines the number and length of those extensions. But I could totally be wrong :man_shrugging:

iiuc no. The Chinese version of Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals is already revised to the latest version, so you could read what the articles say. Google translate may do enough work.

There is no limit to the number of gold card extensions. Just the limit of length up to 3 years per application.

1 Like

@mseal What was your previous gold card category, and what category is your second term?

OK. I need to renew in early August. I’ll give it a shot and report back.

Keep in mind the Gold Card is a different beast from ARCs. Its handled online and not with the NIA.

If I remember correctly, there is the possible to update the passport number in the online application platform - similar to changing the address.

1 Like