Employment opportunities

Hi folks,

I’ve been scouring this forum for a while now and it is a wealth of information, so cheers for that. If you don’t mind I’d like to put my thoughts out there, and maybe a few questions. If you feel like replying that’s great.

I’m a 32 year old white (skin color seems to be important in English language teaching in Taiwan) British male, about to complete my degree - decided upon a career change - and would like to travel and teach English while completing a long distance Master’s degree; I’ll be arriving in Taipei at the end of June. Luckily I have family who live there with one too many rooms, so accommodation isn’t an issue.

In a nutshell, I’ve figured so far that being a ‘newbie’ I must accept some kind of beefing up the bum by large buxibans, or quite possibly anywhere. This is fine, I used to chef in some high pressure kitchens, and the most useful transferable skill was pretending to care when someone gave you shit whilst mentally noting their numerous facial defects.

Whatever the strength of the job market, I’ve concluded that securing full time employment is the main goal because I earn more money and part time screws you for an ARC. Although, as I have somewhere to crash, if only part time was available for the first few months I’d be fine with that. Is there any legal way to make that work? I’m thinking no but it doesn’t hurt to ask. I am also aware of the possible visa run, I’ll go to the dentist in Manila.

I’ve been in touch with one of the larger schools so far, although I can’t send all my documents yet, making myself known can’t be a bad thing. I’ve read some iffy stuff about HESS on here but are they that bad, or is the unpaid hour scenario the general rule of thumb for all buxibans?

As for funding myself. Obviously rent is taken care of, so I was thinking of surviving on £290/$430/$13000 per month for food, occasional Saturday night on the town etc. This is just till I find a job, am I being a tad frugal? Instead of champagne for everyone at the bar, will I have to buy rounds of tap water with a sniff of a lime wedge?

I’m under no illusions that I’ll stroll into a super cushie job paying top dollar. I’ll get bitched at and experience a few surprises I’m sure, plus there’s every chance that I’ll earn about $42-45000 per month before my 18 per cent tax. I’ll get that back anyway so it’s just like saving. I might find better but from the current trends suggested on here that is unlikely. All of that is fine, at least I’m aware of it, anything else is a bonus, although it won’t stop me from trying for more!

Thank-you for reading :slight_smile:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

There’s no way AFAIK to work part time legally before you are sponsored on an ARC.

I’ve no idea about HESS. Some say it’s OK, others shite. Seems to be a bit of a lottery. Shane are good, IME at least, if you want to try them out. EDIT: I believe Shane have started demanding a CELTA.

Do a bit of research into your tax. I’m not sure, but I believe that if you come in the second half of the year you don’t get the extra tax back. Even if you do get it back you’ll need to wait until the end of the following year for it.

I couldn’t live on 13k. It’s less than my monthly booze allowance. However, if you aren’t paying rent and it’s all you’ve got you should be OK. Walk around a lot, eat lunchboxes, and treat yourself to a 7-11 beer each evening. The free accommodation will save you loads especially with not having to pay a deposit.

Good luck!

13,000NT/mo is doable if you don’t drink much.

your definition of part time and full time is a little confusing. Part time to me is 14-18 hrs/wk. this is still enough to get an ARC and NHI though. Full time is 20+ hrs/wk. If you don’t have to pay rent then part time teaching would be good for you since you will be taking online classes. 14 hrs/wk will get you about 35K/mo (maybe closer to 30K/mo net).

You absolutely want to be in Taiwan for 183 days during the tax year. If you aren’t in Taiwan for 183 days your tax rate is 18%. If you work 6 months part time you will barely make it into the 5% tax bracket (if you are here 183 days). 6 months at 40K/mo = about 45-50K in taxes (18%). Almost all of that money would be refunded if you are here for 183 days (working or non-working).

Unpaid grading and prep is the norm but the amount varies greatly by buxiban.

13.000 ntd per month is what I have right now after paying rent. It’s absolutely not true you have to eat crap and walk around a lot. I use a scooter and shop at CostCo and Carrefour, cook all my meals (actually, my SO does it for me) and can even afford to own a cat. :slight_smile: I’ve gone over budget only when something unexpected happened (like a 3000 ntd fine I had to pay), otherwise I always break even. I do not drink more than a handfup of beers per month, though. I’m crazy into hiking and outdoors, which is as cheap as a leisure activity can get.

Fair point.

It is, of course, possible to live on 400NTD a day. Two meals at 100NT or so each, crap food is subjective, and the other 200 for travel costs and stuff. Pretty basic, but doable.

Hiking is walking around a lot, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Fair point.

It is, of course, possible to live on 400NTD a day. Two meals at 100NT or so each, crap food is subjective, and the other 200 for travel costs and stuff. Pretty basic, but doable.

Hiking is walking around a lot, isn’t it? :slight_smile:[/quote]

I would say that how well you eat on a low budget depends on your culinary skills and amount of effort you are willing to put into cooking and buying groceries. As an example, the stuff you buy at most establishment for brunch in the 300 to 400 ntd range can be prepared at home for less than 100 ntd. I am lucky to have a girlfriend that is
-into cooking
-great at it
-middle eastern (great food and close to my taste)

On my side, I am fairly skilled in the kitchen too (no Italian mother would raise a kid who doesn’t know how to cook). I can make a mean “cabonara”.

~

Yes, hiking is walking around a lot. :slight_smile: Point taken.

Thanks for the advice folks,

As far as living costs go I could stretch to between 17-18000 per month but I’d rather try and be more conservative. I do drink but I don’t drink much, and I used to be a chef so my culinary skills can stretch beyond fried eggs served on a spatula.

Novaspes, I like the idea that you manage to run a scooter too. I’m a fan a of two wheels and looking forward to nice weather in which to ride some.

I think the best thing for me to do get there, settle in and then start hassling people for a job around mid-July. I know summer is one of the better times to get hired but will everyone be doing the same? If that’s the case I’d rather not mess about and start looking at the beginning of the month. I have the brass neck to think showing up at the same place every week translates into seeming keen, which I hope it would.

I’ve come to the conclusion that buxiban + newbie = a small step into the unknown, so while the advice here is mostly good, as long as I have enough money to last then all I can do is get my ass on solid ground and experience the good and the bad for real.

Thanks for the help.

B :slight_smile:

Fair point.

Hiking is walking around a lot, isn’t it? :slight_smile:[/quote]

I can easily cook good, healthy meals for 75-150NT each. And I don’t hold back on the raw ingredients. A nice but small cut of meat and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Hiking is a leisure activity in nice places. Hiking is not walking several kms/day dodging cars and scooters. And it’s really cheap. It’s nice to have a scooter but you might not need one in Taipei especially if you ‘might’ be able to borrow one occasionally from family.

The nice thing for BubbaGump is that he will be moving into a furnished house with family and won’t have to buy all of the things a house needs (hangers, mops, brooms, towels, bedding, kitchen stuff, etc…). That can add up fast unless you buy only the cheapest crap.

OK. Tonight I cooked pasta with a tomato sauce, a mushroom and cream sauce, and a roasted pepper.

The tin of tomatoes was 53NT, mushrooms were around 60, cream was 89 but I only used about a fifth of it (so 18), pepper was 29. Pasta was a bulk buy from Costco so I’m guessing a bit - but I think it’s around 60NT a packet. Garlic, chili, and olive oil I’ll ignore. That’s around 280NTD for me, the wife, and the kid for a pretty basic meal. Probably 300 when you factor in all the other extras like parmesan.

I honestly don’t know how you guys do it.

280/2.5=112/meal

that’s exactly how we do it.

[quote=“Abacus”]280/2.5=112/meal

that’s exactly how we do it.[/quote]

OK. Point taken. I cooked enough for the wife’s lunch tomorrow, too.

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“Abacus”]280/2.5=112/meal

that’s exactly how we do it.[/quote]

OK. Point taken. I cooked enough for the wife’s lunch tomorrow, too.[/quote]

Skinflint! :slight_smile:

[quote=“tomthorne”]OK. Tonight I cooked pasta with a tomato sauce, a mushroom and cream sauce, and a roasted pepper.

The tin of tomatoes was 53NT, mushrooms were around 60, cream was 89 but I only used about a fifth of it (so 18), pepper was 29. Pasta was a bulk buy from Costco so I’m guessing a bit - but I think it’s around 60NT a packet. Garlic, chili, and olive oil I’ll ignore. That’s around 280NTD for me, the wife, and the kid for a pretty basic meal. Probably 300 when you factor in all the other extras like parmesan.

I honestly don’t know how you guys do it.[/quote]

I also noticed that if one buys groceries consistently and keeps most of the necessary ingredients at home already (spices, parmesan, tomato paste), then the overall cost is lower than buyimg ingredients separately every timd one wants to cook.

Bubbagump, you mentioned being a chef before. Why don’t you look for a job in a restaurant? They often pay very well and are highly stable jobs.

Restaurants are not going to pay a foreigner good money in Taiwan. They likely won’t even be able to get a work permit and ARC.

I don’t think he wants to be a chef, plus problems with ARC as mentioned.

I am not talking about streetside restaurants, rather about high-end, usually foreign, establishments. Those will pay really good money for anyone with good experience and provide work permits. I have friends in their early 20s with a couple of years of experience getting around 80.000ntd per month and 20 days/year of vacation.

There are also cooking schools opening all over Taipei and raking in tons of money. I have a friend who started one with incredible success (you can Google it. It’s called “Skills” I believe). Heck, my gf and I are getting orders for cookies that we made at home and requests to teach how to cook after preparing a couple of lunches for a few friends. :slight_smile:

That’s a different problem all together.

Hello,

I’m glad to hear that it is possible to cook at home. I have heard that it’s cheaper to eat out than at home but you folks have put another spin on that. I like to expriment with food at home, especially making a good dish that costs as little as possible.

As for being a chef again, I would never say never but it would be as a last resort. I’ve avoided it like the plague for four years - which means I’m a bit out of practice - and would only ever consider it if I set up my own deli; home-made pastries, lunches and desserts. The thought of service depresses me! I appreciate that I may earn more money but I’d rather do something that helps me along my preferred path. I have a love for cooking and intend to indulge while in Taiwan, and there may be an opportunity to offer some cookery classes to kids, but we will see. For me it’s all about getting as much teaching experience as possible and making good contacts.

Any sort of teaching would at least make me feel like I’m using some of what I learnt at university. I wouldn’t be against doing hours spread across several schools, that would give me a chance to spend time on two wheels - did I mention I dabbled in motorcycle couriering? Bit of a jack of all trades hehe. That tune will probably change when it starts to piss down lol.

Thank-you folks