The amended Employment Services Act (ESA) 修正就業服務法 has been announced. The official Chinese text is at
Here’s a rough translation of Article 51. Basically, Article 51 gives foreigners married to Taiwanese and permanent residents (among other classes) the right to work. Note that you still have to apply for a permit to the Council on Labor Affairs, so don’t start selling betel nuts or anything just yet.
Employment Services Act
Promulgated 21 January 2002
雇主聘僱下列外國人從事工作，得不受第四十六條 532;一項、第三項、第四十七條、第五十二條、第五十 三條第三項、第四項、第五十七條第五款、第七十 108;條第四款及第七十四條規定之限制，並免依第五十 五條規定繳納就業安定費：
Employers who employ the foreign persons listed below are not subject to the restrictions in Articles 46-1, 46-3, 47, 52, 53-3, 53-4, 57-1-5, 72-1-4, and 74 and are exempt from payment of the employment stabilization fee under Article 55:
- Foreign persons  who are married to citizens with household registration within the territory of the Republic of China and  who have obtained residency.
2. Refugees who have obtained residency.
3. Foreign persons who have been engaged in authorized employment continuously and have resided for five years within the territory of the Republic of China, who are of good moral character, and who are domiciled in the Republic of China.
4. Foreign persons who have obtained approval to live with their lineal blood relatives with household registration in the territory of the Republic of China.
5. Foreign persons who have obtained permanent residency.
The foreign persons listed sub-paragraphs 1, 2, 4, and 5 of the preceding paragraph may, without application by the employer, apply directly to the competent authority for a permit.
外國法人為履行承攬、買賣、技術合作等契約之需# 201;，須指派外國人在中華民國境內從事第四十六條第 一項第一款或第二款契約範圍內之工作，於中華民 283;境內未設立分公司或代表人辦事處者，應由訂約之 事業機構或授權之代理人，依第四十八條第二項及 532;三項所發布之命令規定申請許可。
Foreign juristic persons  who need to send foreign persons to the Republic of China to engage in work that falls under the scope of the contracts provided for under Article 46-1-1 and 46-1-2 for purposes of contracting, business, or technical cooperation and  who have not appointed a representative or established offices in the Republic of China shall apply for a permit through the contracting enterprise or agency or the enterprise’s or agency’s authorized agent in compliance with the orders and regulations issued under Article 48-2 and 48-3.